The New 1340GT from PM

Accessories and country of origin

Hey Guys,
All the machines are looking great, hope they are all making chips (and money) for you soon!

Regarding the accessories, in case anyone is worried. The poster that put that in the first place is not correct. The ONLY accessories from China, are the 4 jaw chuck, and he had a quick change tool post on his, that was made in China.

Everything else, the 3 jaw chuck, drill chuck, live center, micro carriage stop, etc. ALL the other accessories, AND THE LATHE is made in TAIWAN.

I only did it on the 4 jaw because we have a pretty nice 4 jaw from China, they do a good job on it, and it is about $250 less than the 4 jaw from Taiwan, and I really could not tell a difference. And of course on the quick change tool post set, same thing. (That is not in the package, that is extra)

So just wanted to clear that up, the only thing that would come in the preferred equipment package is the 4 jaw chuck that would be from China, everything else is from Taiwan. This could always be changed around and upgraded, but there is really no point, unless you were going to go with something like a Bison.

And thanks again to everyone for everything, and also for the great information on here! I see and work on the machines every day, but it is really interesting to me to see them set up in their shops where they will be used.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. And just to reiterate what I had said in a post yesterday I think in my 1340GT thread, the 4-jaw seems like a nice unit just playing with it on the bench. I wondered about the 3-jaw because it was installed on the lathe and covered in cosmoline right out of the crate so thanks for clearing that up Matt.

After getting the machine all cleaned up last night the 3-jaw seems very nice and smooth. I didn't put any stock in it yet to see how true it was as I will do that tonight.

Mike.

I finally got her on the stand, but wont be back until next week. Now the hard part begin....cleaning...... i hope to be making chips by next weekend.

Danny

View attachment 81566View attachment 81568
Mike and Danny,
Congrats. on your new machines. Did you lift the 1340GT onto its base using only the engine hoist and strapping shown? I see by your photos you have it slung up with the hoist parallel to the lathe bed. Any issues with the gear/belt cover plate hitting the hydraulic ram of the hoist? I guess that if it made contact the cover would just ride up the front of the ram while lifting (some thick cardboard could help prevent scratching, I guess). Did you attempt lifting it with the hoist mounted perpendicular or only parallel to the lathe bed as show?
Thanks. Good Luck.
Tim

Mike and Danny,
Congrats. on your new machines. Did you lift the 1340GT onto its base using only the engine hoist and strapping shown? I see by your photos you have it slung up with the hoist parallel to the lathe bed. Any issues with the gear/belt cover plate hitting the hydraulic ram of the hoist? I guess that if it made contact the cover would just ride up the front of the ram while lifting (some thick cardboard could help prevent scratching, I guess). Did you attempt lifting it with the hoist mounted perpendicular or only parallel to the lathe bed as show?
Thanks. Good Luck.
Tim

Tim, the sweet spot for balance seems to be about 6"-8" from the chuck. Wrap the proper weight approved lifting strap around the bed but make certain to go between the lathe bed and the leadscrew and feed rod as you don't want to put any undue stress or pressure on them. Mine balanced out pretty well and the gear cover was a good 10+ inches or so from touching the engine hoist. I did have the hoist extended out a bit but not all the way. I put a small ratchet strap from the tailstock end of the bed to the lifting point on the engine hoist just because the tailstock was ever so slightly heavy and drooping just a little bit. By having the small strap pull it level it was much easier to get the stand and chip tray positioned under the lathe without having the ends at different elevations.

I also lifted the lathe up off of the shipping pallet, pulled the pallet out and then slid the stand and chip tray under the lathe being supported by the engine hoist. I chose this method vs. trying to steer the engine hoist around over the stand to minimize the lathe swinging around putting any more stress on the lifting straps than necessary.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Tim, the sweet spot for balance seems to be about 6"-8" from the chuck. Wrap the proper weight approved lifting strap around the bed but make certain to go between the lathe bed and the leadscrew and feed rod as you don't want to put any undue stress or pressure on them. Mine balanced out pretty well and the gear cover was a good 10+ inches or so from touching the engine hoist. I did have the hoist extended out a bit but not all the way. I put a small ratchet strap from the tailstock end of the bed to the lifting point on the engine hoist just because the tailstock was ever so slightly heavy and drooping just a little bit. By having the small strap pull it level it was much easier to get the stand and chip tray positioned under the lathe without having the ends at different elevations.

I also lifted the lathe up off of the shipping pallet, pulled the pallet out and then slid the stand and chip tray under the lathe being supported by the engine hoist. I chose this method vs. trying to steer the engine hoist around over the stand to minimize the lathe swinging around putting any more stress on the lifting straps than necessary.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Mike,
Thanks. In addition to avoiding the lead screw, feed rod, fwd./rev. rods I have a DRO scale on the back of the bed. I think I can get away with blocking under the bed at the flat area just last the gear box and ring up the tail as you did and also avoiding contact with the screw/rods. I tried to lift it with the hoist perpendicular to the lathe bed but the lathe wants to roll over in the direction of the motor so I set it down. I'll try the parallel lift as you, Danny and Lyn (PM1236) did. My last lathe was half the weight of this one, already on its base and 6 of us moved it on a "stretcher" made of 2x4's. Not so easy with this one.
Thanks.
Tim

Mike,
Thanks. In addition to avoiding the lead screw, feed rod, fwd./rev. rods I have a DRO scale on the back of the bed. I think I can get away with blocking under the bed at the flat area just last the gear box and ring up the tail as you did and also avoiding contact with the screw/rods. I tried to lift it with the hoist perpendicular to the lathe bed but the lathe wants to roll over in the direction of the motor so I set it down. I'll try the parallel lift as you, Danny and Lyn (PM1236) did. My last lathe was half the weight of this one, already on its base and 6 of us moved it on a "stretcher" made of 2x4's. Not so easy with this one.
Thanks.
Tim

Good luck Tim. If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Mike.

Mike and Danny,
Thanks. Good Luck.
Tim

TIM,

I wrapped the hydraulic ram with a sleeve cut off from my old wet suit, worked great. I tried lifting it perpendicular to the lathe, but couldn't find the balance point. congrats on your lathe also. If you have any other question ask Mike.... He's the MAN. I am just a newb.

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
TIM,

I wrapped the hydraulic ram with a sleeve cut off from my old wet suit, worked great. I tried lifting it perpendicular to the lathe, but couldn't find the balance point. congrats on your lathe also. If you have any other question ask Mike.... He's the MAN. I am just a newb.

Danny

Danny, Mike,
Thanks for the info., guys. Enjoy your new machines!
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had 2 professionals say they move their lathes lifting by the chuck with a strap - I just can't do it that way myself.

Back