The NutCrusher Mk1

made the top plate, though I didn't cut the grooves yet as a) I screwed up the non-linkage pivot location (worked off dims for the legs for the hole, not the plate) and b) that allows me to try the top plate in 2 different orientations to see which I like the most.
IMG_0025.JPG

alright, finally have some time to finish up the thread :) I'll let the pictures do the talking:

top die for bending the 1/4" stainless legs
IMG_0026.JPG

some test pieces, one leg and a broken bolt from the lower bending jig :)
IMG_0028.JPG

setting up a jig to drill the pivot holes in the legs
IMG_0029.JPG

yeah, that didn't work, so used a piece of 1/2" alu plate instead
IMG_0030.JPG

drilling and reaming the linkage pivots
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

did the same for the end legs
IMG_0033.JPG

yeah, that isn't going to work either
IMG_0034.JPG

milling the bottom groove
IMG_0035.JPG

turning the blank for the handle. Mystery hardwood from a neighbour's tree - I have a bunch that I'm burning in the fire pit.
IMG_0040.JPG

ridiculously long drill and why I need my SB up and running as soon as possible!
IMG_0041.JPG

taper turned, grooves added and then turned around to use my ball turner on the end. Wood cuts easy but boy does it make a mess.
IMG_0042.JPG

and finished! Base is a piece of curly cherry that a friend gave me
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

works a treat and the wife is super happy with it. She really likes the "look" too, so it's ornamental as well as functional! Needs a bit of modding - the bottom groove is a bit slippery, so I'll be adding cross grooves to that, and I need to add a few extra cross grooves to the top. I'll do that tomorrow :)

that came out very nice !

thanks! I'm really happy that it's done (well, almost) :) Now I need to clean up all the mess over my lathe, might be easier just to take it to pieces and give it a thorough going over!

Wow! Beautiful. That's putting the machines to use. What went wrong in the above pictures? Came loose?

thanks! I make her a present at least once a year (one year I made a stainless mortar and pestle) - she loves them and I get to justify having my machines :)

The wood jig didn't work as it flexed too much and I needed to hold the work rigidly so that the holes came out straight and the stainless didn't work harden. The angle vise didn't work in the upright position as the handle end hit the head of the mill before the cutter hit the work :D Just part of figuring out what works and what doesn't.

fixed up a couple of niggles and now it crushes walnuts like they're not even there. Blowing my own trumpet I know, but this is the best nut cracker I've ever used :)
IMG_0053.JPG

You might oughta add something to the stamped legend - call it Mk 1.1, eh wot?

You might oughta add something to the stamped legend - call it Mk 1.1, eh wot?

I thought about that, but was too lazy to disassemble it enough to stamp another number on it :)

Nice nut chomper :D

thanks! Keeping my eyes open for some pecans to give those a shot, maybe treat myself to some Brazil nuts at some point. I know what, my wife's birthday is coming up soon, I can buy some for her birthday!

Back