The PM932V

So quick question. Operating the machine at max rpm 3200 using a 1/8 in carbide endmill slotting steel at .002 depth of cut passes. ~4 IPM or less

i noticed the spindle was getting pretty toasty as in hot to the touch but could still touch it without getting burned or anything. I had only noticed the spindle getting warm previously when i was taking too deep of cut in aluminum with the wrong feed/speed thinking excessive sideloading. given the diameter of the cutter I don't think its possible to side load it enough without breaking the bit machine was making no signs of strain or excess heat on the cutter.

I was just surprised or maybe slightly concerned as a mill sort of marketed or geared to CNC conversion that 15 mins at top speed and the spindle heating up like that ill have to bust out the IR thermometer next time and get some better data.

Is this something to be concerned about? or normal? basically i know heat is a indicator of friction and excess friction can well shorten the life of my spindle bearings.

Back