The Retractor

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
View attachment The Retractor.mp4

Some people (no one here) weren't satisfied with the automatic threading stop for my SB Heavy 10. They felt that the tool should also retract to avoid the necessity of a thread relief. I've always tried to fulfill people's unreasonable requests, so here goes. Please bear in mind that these things are designed on the fly, the unanticipated details and errors of one step influence the next.

Here's what we started with. The bearing is a guide bearing from a router bit.
20220614_101845.jpg

20220614_102551.jpg

20220614_124738.jpg

20220614_165806.jpg

20220615_095905.jpg

I only needed one of these cams, but when I decided it needed another feature it was easier to just make another.
20220616_105031.jpg

20220615_114216.jpg

20220616_113833.jpg

The additional feature on the cam was a .250 R. divot .005" deep at the high point, which provides a seat for the bearing when the tool is in the forward (working) position. Pushing the trip lever (bottom right of last picture) rotates the cam off center, then the pressure from the spring takes over, pushing the tool back as the cam rotates to its low point. The tool retracts 1/8", which should be plenty for all but the coarsest threads. A larger cam and some clearancing would allow for more retraction if needed.

This whole job would have been a lot easier with a surface grinder, but you work with what you have. I spent way too much time lapping the tool shank to provide a precision slip fit in the carrier. I still have to make the trip stop, haven't quite decided how it will be attached to the lathe. Video will follow once I've worked out those details.

Last edited:
It would be all the better if the device was made with an integral dovetail to fit the tool post, avoiding the excessive overhang of the attachment.
There is actually enough material to do that, but first I have to deal with inconsistent release. Going to start with a stronger spring and maybe a little fine file work on the cam to reduce the "neutral zone". I have considered other release mechanisms, but hoping I don't have to go that far.

Well today is more promising than yesterday. I discovered some things about setting the stops that made a big difference. This is cutting 3/4-16.

This is just some nasty old black pipe, so the finish is less than stellar.

20220617_095748.jpg

What an excellent presentation from Kripke all the way to finished threads. My compliments.

Back