The Shop of Billy G

nice! i really like the winged objects in the rafters/ joists. i have a few of those to build myself, particularly a Ziroli Ercoupe. I really want to create the scale gear and other items myself.

appreciate the looksee.

So. did you fly combat, stunt or speed? I noticed the longer outboard wing and it leads me to believe you raced.

Bob

I flew them all Bob. Yes, racing was a passion.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is it folks. My modest shop. Much has come from here without the big machines. It measures 12X32. Hope you are not disappointed.

"Billy G"

I would never call that shop "modest" while the owner certainly is. It looks like a terrific place to work. I always prefered close working quarters and do my best where you can find things without wasting a lot of time running around chasing tools.

The thing about shops is that they all have to be different, but still have the same elements. Our shops are diffferent because we all do different things in them. I 'need'
more bench space because I am just plain 'messy' and like to spread out, and my shop has to double as a wood shop also. My shop area is close to the same size (square footage ),and I will definitly use your shop as a model to follow for improvements, with a little more bench space.
I hope that someday I can send in some pictures of a shop good enough to even be on the same page as yours. Good Job.
Jerry

This is it folks. My modest shop. Much has come from here without the big machines. It measures 12X32. Hope you are not disappointed.

"Billy G"

I had a Jet lathe like the one in your last picture. I was trying to do industrial work on it and I was destroying it so I sold it. I'd sure like to have another one.

Nice looking setup you have there. A true testament that you don't need large equipment to turn out high quality work.

Mike.

Thank you for the pictures of your shop. The items that you make show that it is the man that makes the difference, not the machines. A friend and mentor told me many times to learn how to use what you have, make tools when you can before buying anything. It has worked well for me. This departed friend had a saying "I got more time than money"; never seemed to get in a hurry but knew what and how he was going to do to make the part. He made some of the most accurate muzzle loading rifles from scratch. Great shop Bill!

Nice shop Bill! And no CNC! I like that. I've grown somewhat fed up with CNC's (although they no-doubt have their place in industry). I'm enjoying my conventional machines at the moment. Thanks for posting this.

A few years ago I. Got a divorce and moved all my shop into a storage building close to my now ex wifes house. Then the tornado in Joplin took the storage building! :panic:
Point is I didn't know then what I know now... When you grow into your shop so to speak.... You kind of get a groove.. Where to reach for what without thinking much about it... I'm slowly growing into my new shop as it slowly evolves... Getting my groove... You smellin what I'm stepping in?

What I'm trying to say is your shop looks like you got your groove on! It's your comfort fit, you know.... Maybe just leave it like that.
Looks like you got your groove on! Thanks for sharing amigo...

Back