The Vaccine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The question from my daughter got me thinking..
"Hey Dad - you qualify to be among the first. Are you going to get in there from the start, or wait to let some others be be victims sorting out the flaws first"?

This is a more subtle question than stuff about a disproportionate effect from anti-vaxer disinformation campaigns via social media, which may overwhelm true information, whether anti-vaccination or not. I would not hesitate!

I guess us older folk, having less time to go for whatever is left that is good in life, are somewhat less concerned about risk!

I, for one, am standing in line to get my vaccination as soon as possible. I'll still wear la mask, in public, but I want that shot. Yes, I'm in the second most needy group, Senior Citizens. Once I have it, I know I won't be spreading infection.

I'm going to preemptively warn any members from replying to this with a political viewpoint. There is plenty of room to have a discussion about vaccination information and your intentions without dragging everyone into the political mud pit.

As for me, I'm inclined to get the vaccination once it is released and cleared all of the hurdles it needs to clear for public safety. I'm 46 and just got my flu shot. Yup had an adverse reaction (although mild) but that is what your body can do (inflames and creates anti-bodies) when it is introduced to a vaccine.

I'm going to preemptively warn any members from replying to this with a political viewpoint. There is plenty of room to have a discussion about vaccination information and your intentions without dragging everyone into the political mud pit.

As for me, I'm inclined to get the vaccination once it is released and cleared all of the hurdles it needs to clear for public safety. I'm 46 and just got my flu shot. Yup had an adverse reaction (although mild) but that is what your body can do (inflames and creates anti-bodies) when it is introduced to a vaccine.
Oops. Sorry Bryan.
My perspective was from UK. Here, the efforts to the getting of a vaccine is not correlated with preferences in politics.

There is some concern in UK about effective take-up after previous experience with a MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), debilitating to children, but deadly to adults without any immunity. A dishonest research claim about links to autism was exhaustively checked out over some years, and no connection was found, but even now, MMR is blighted by folk believing social media campaigns.

My life has been so messed up by needing to shield, here in the country, like some sort of hermit. I am going to be there for mine first chance I get, even if I have to stand in line in winter rain, spaced 2m with a mask on!

[Edit] Re: Flu jab adverse reaction. That is exactly the best thing to happen. You need the body to teach itself how to recognize and attack that strain. Unfortunately, surviving flu rapidly mutates, so regular re-vaccination is needed.

Last edited:
[Edit] Re: Flu jab adverse reaction. That is exactly the best thing to happen. You need the body to teach itself how to recognize and attack that strain. Unfortunately, surviving flu rapidly mutates, so regular re-vaccination is needed.

This is true of any virus that uses Reverse Transcriptase as it's replication method. This is true of other known viral diseases out there like HIV and Covid. If people think Covid will be "one and done" on a vaccination, then you do not understand the virus. When it mutates (and it will), we will be on the vaccine train for years. Reverse Transcriptase replication is very sloppy and error prone, it introduces a very high mutation rate in any virus that uses that mechanism. As such, an effective vaccine which worked well the previous year, will not match (and defend against the virus), a year later.

This is the thing the scientists are not telling you right now. Even naturally achieved resistance (resistance gained by getting sick with it) will face similar hurdles. I will not get into the discussion on whether this virus was naturally occurring; I will leave that to others. I have read through the Chinese-published sequencing of the genome. I would like to see someone else repeat that effort and compare the results .

While UK has pre-purchased some millions of doses of the already announced Pfizer vaccine, there is also the NHS funded Oxford University with AstraZeneca development. They have not finished safety testing yet. Neither has Pfizer, but they announced early

In the longer term, when the safety of multi-vaccine strategies are proven, we may end up with a vaccine cocktail with components to protect us as well as attack the virus genome. Maybe in the end, we get longer term treatments prescribed between several, though not all at the same time.

Regarding mutation, indeed it already has (mutated). In UK, the testers checking an outbreak were able to know not to lockdown a whole community, because they could tell the strain DNA was from a localized European continent travel import occurrence. Everywhere, starting with 17 million in Denmark, the entire mink population is being destroyed, though I dare say they might be keeping the furs. The mutated COVID was seen to infect humans. They always knew that mink were prone to SARS-Cov-2, which causes COVID-19, so perhaps it is not a surprise.

Last edited:
I'm going to let my doctor decide. I'm keeping in touch with them. When he says "come on in", I'll go get it.
-Mark

I'm 78 & diabetic so high risk. One of my G-kids was exposed & came down with it. I'm now staying away from people, even more than before. Will get the shot(s). Very bored.

This is the HOBBY-MACHINIST if you guys want to have a political discussion do it on the Practical Machinist..... That stuff is not allowed here!

Last edited:
They're saying that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70°C (-94°F).
I'm curious as to our infrastructure, both here in the US and elsewhere, having the specialized equipment available to handle those temps.
Those are some serious high-end systems.
Then there is also mention of the grade of glass needed for the vials to handle the ultra cold being in short supply.
So many questions. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back