The Vaccine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Middle.Road,

I have been following the Defense Contracting office actions. They have purchased the very high end freezer systems, and funded production of the appropriate syringes.

They're saying that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70°C (-94°F).
I'm curious as to our infrastructure, both here in the US and elsewhere, having the specialized equipment available to handle those temps.
Those are some serious high-end systems.
Then there is also mention of the grade of glass needed for the vials to handle the ultra cold being in short supply.
So many questions. . .
-78ºC is the sublimation temperature of dry ice at atmospheric pressure. Some dry ice in a styrofoam enclosure will meet those requirements. This is a common method for shipping and handling biologicals. Dry ice is fairly common. There are many facilities that can make it. It can be made in small quantities by allowing compressed CO2 to expand into a cloth bag although not very efficiently. There are numerous manufacturers of machines for making your own.

I found out minutes ago that my brother in law is positive. He's an intelligent guy and I know he takes precautions. He works at Norco health supply so he knows what he's doing more than most of us. If he can get it anyone can.

I'm inclined to wait a week or two after they start giving out the vaccine for my group. I am high risk due to age and preexisting conditions. But I don't want to be he first whether it's politically correct or not. People see an old guy and I swear they avoid me more that 6 ft. Which is fine with me. I was just in Winco (large grocery chain here) and I saw a few people without masks. Just as we were leaving they were telling people over the loudspeaker that that will deny service to anyone without a mask, and you can get a free mask for the asking. About damn time.

With what............180K new infections per day I won't go past my driveway without a mask.

Last edited:
@RJSakowski :
Definitely if any of the approximately 44 vaccines that come out are able to be stored and used at near room temperatures, they will have a distribution and costs advantage.

As it is right now in UK, there is a massive effort to set up "refrigerated delivery chains" including final stages of insulated boxes with dry ice, and a whole return infrastructure to have the boxes returned, sterilized, and refilled. The bets are that getting milliions of doses given to folk is an appointments logistics nightmare likely to have some problems!

My concern regarding the Covid vaccine is whether I can have it at all.
I am allergic to the flu shot, so haven't had one in a number of years, which bums me out. Not sure if the Covid vaccine will fall under the same "family" as the flu shot.
The last time I saw my doctor he wanted to know if I wanted a flu shot. I asked him if he was itching to practice his tracheotomy skills?! "Oh, nevermind".

My concern regarding the Covid vaccine is whether I can have it at all.
I am allergic to the flu shot, so haven't had one in a number of years, which bums me out. Not sure if the Covid vaccine will fall under the same "family" as the flu shot.
The last time I saw my doctor he wanted to know if I wanted a flu shot. I asked him if he was itching to practice his tracheotomy skills?! "Oh, nevermind".
Along with common cold, various influenzas, the virus(s) have a corona nature. The flu vaccines are intended to "infect", and provoke the generation of antibodies, and the making of cells in the plasma that will attack and destroy a virus, basically by recognizing them, attaching to them, and having in effect a "suicide signal" marking the combination to be turned into body waste material.

The vaccines have their working parts stripped out, attenuated, and weakened such that they can't make you ill with the original flu, but may have fluids, preservatives, and other stuffs to aid delivery into the blood. One of these could well be the trigger for your allergy. I think there are ways to check for allergy by testing against a small blood sample, without direct contact to the person.

I recognize the risk you run, and the awful choice, but it is worth saying that while the new vaccines are made to work against a virus with similar features (it's a corona shape), there is reasonable chance that the vaccine substances are very different, and might reasonably not cause an allergic response. For you, it might use up two vaccines. One to check allergy, and one the real deal.

Can you not check out sensitivity from a little test surface scratch, like they do to identify other substance allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back