TheDROstore.com Anyone ever used them?

Ordered

However there was no place to give the size of the scales needed, I sent them a memo with the order listing the actual travel on all three axis. I am not sure if I am supposed to make a deduction or addition to these specs????
All of this is important.
Make sure that you actually measure the travel of all axes, not taking numbers from a spec sheet or ad.
The scales need to have more travel than the axes travel, or else you will crash into the end of the scales.
It is also a mounting issue because if you have 2mm of longer scale travel than axis travel, then the scale will have to be mounted very accurately within about plus or minus 1mm of where it will crash. That wastes time and is asking for trouble.
Too long is only a possible mounting issue or a possible issue of being in the way of other stuff. Pay attention to that before ordering.
I ordered my scales 1"+ longer than the actual axis travel. There were no obstruction issues. That gives plenty of room to easily find a place for the read head and scales to mount without fussy measuring.
It is very easy to measure the axis travel. Make sure no hard stops or other settings are reducing the maximum travel of the axis. Move the axis all the way to one end. Put a sharpie mark across where the two halves of the axis slide past each other. Move the axis all the way to the other end. Measure between the sharpie marks. Add, do not subtract, to make sure you have enough travel with your scales.
More questions?

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I will add 25mm to all travel sizes and request that to be the scale sizes.

Actually, I think the addition might be more than 25mm total, you need to add the length of the read head as well. There should be instructions for ordering the scales on the site?

+1 on DROPROs. I used them for both the lathe and mill and could not be happier.
Installed and set up and then just used for the last three years without a hitch.

I used them on my Lagun 1e7f6f597386ba723a15cbdc72b9833b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I think the addition might be more than 25mm total, you need to add the length of the read head as well. There should be instructions for ordering the scales on the site?
The lengths of the scales already take the read head and bracketry into account. The actual overall length of the scale will be larger than the size ordered. Travel is what is specified, at least on the Chinese scales I ordered.

The seller I used for the DRO I have on the mill was: technical.jrs . There listing is clear on what to add for the total length of the scale vs the travel needed for the scale. I mentioned in the post above that I received a unit for my lathe. Actually I purchased a unit for a SB heavy 10. I recently acquired a different, much longer lathe (Hendey). I was able to contact them and purchase only the Z scale for lathe. They just have to match the manufacture unit that I purchased. I have been very pleased with their product and service. (no affiliation)
dd

Robert
May I suggest that the display that you choose determines how easy the DRO is to use. The quality of the scales is important but the quality of the software that runs the unit determines whether you will curse or praise the unit while in use. I have experience with both a generic Chinese unit supplied on my lathe and two Eason 12 displays. I found the generic so hard to use and program that I got rid of it and replaced with a new Eason 12B which is superb.
Just as an example some displays have seperate buttons to zero the display ie. X 0 but others require two or more button presses to zero a scale. Just a little thing but makes a big difference in use. I am sure you will love your new DRO they make such a difference to a mill and lathe.
Ron

I went with a DRO Pro 3 axis mag scale for my mill due to the low profile, easy maintenance, cut to length options, and half off for black friday ($964).

I would go with them again and likely will for a 2 axis on my lathe.

I went with a DRO Pro 3 axis mag scale for my mill due to the low profile, easy maintenance, cut to length options, and half off for black friday ($964).

I would go with them again and likely will for a 2 axis on my lathe.
Plus1 here as well. They are Vet owned and I have never had to leave a messag. They always answer, in English.
CH

Has anyone ordered from Siton on Aliexpress recently? I wanted to order a Easson 12b but wanted to upgrade a scale for the xslide. I cant get a response for the upgrade price.

Anyone finding good deals on magnetic scales on Aliexpress?

Back