They do not make things like they did before

Planned obsolescence happens where engineering meets capitalism. Products aren’t designed to last; they’re designed for the dump. In this situation, engineers don’t aim to create the best possible machine. They aim for maximum profit through steady sales

Sorry, I disagree. It all starts with the consumer and works down the chain with sales and marketing, accounting, and then the engineer. Engineers are given the constraints to design by. How many times have you read threads that the very first thing is that cost or budget is important? We as consumers no longer want to save to buy what we want, we just want it now and then complain that something doesn't last as long as we think it should. So to put it another way, you would not be happy with the cost of something if the "engineers designed the best possible machine".

I looked at the US Inflation Calculator website. The factor for inflation is about 5X from 1973. Some manufacturing process and material efficiencies would make for less expensive tools. I have to think the same type people shop at Harbor Freight as Sears back then. I agree with Randy; US consumers' love of cheapness has driven things down. Some large fraction of the 1/5 cost (most of these tools carry prices similar to today's dollars) is just a lower bar. We don't want good stuff. We want to save money. But there is one thing that still astounds me. Can't offshore manufacturers charge us 2/5 of the price (or something) and make stuff that functions, fits together, and lasts a few times? That's the piece I can't quite get. Jim

I do not buy cheap crap, avoid HF like the plague; you can buy some very good stuff on EB that (has lasted) and will last for many more years, but of course it is not instant gratification, you sometimes have to wait a long time for what you want/need. No, at least for the most part, they do not make things like they used to, for the reasons stated above; things are still available of high quality, such as cutting tools, but certainly at a premium price.

I second what be said above problem with hf is not only the garbage they sell,but people figure what the heck if it doesn't last I'll throw it out cause it was so cheap and I'll buy another.that only fuels the hf beast,buy something either used or new that is of quality and you will have it forever.hard for tool companies to make quality when only a handful are willing to pay.ok enough ranting sorry.

I second what be said above problem with hf is not only the garbage they sell,but people figure what the heck if it doesn't last I'll throw it out cause it was so cheap and I'll buy another.that only fuels the hf beast,buy something either used or new that is of quality and you will have it forever.hard for tool companies to make quality when only a handful are willing to pay.ok enough ranting sorry.
In my opinion, that is not a rant, it is reality.

AvE in his vids on YouTube confronts power tool engineering. If you get over his shop floor language , there is a lot of interesting things on the build of both new and old tools.

I still have a 1971 Canadian hand tool catalogue from Stanley.13 Russell Jennings bits in a box$55, at a fine woodworking store 9 in roll $300, with a inflation adjuster that about the same price. We would save up knowing that we would use them for the rest of our lives. How many are willing to do that? How many of your wives shop at Walmart ?

AvE in his vids on YouTube confronts power tool engineering. If you get over his shop floor language , there is a lot of interesting things on the build of both new and old tools.

I still have a 1971 Canadian hand tool catalogue from Stanley.13 Russell Jennings bits in a box$55, at a fine woodworking store 9 in roll $300, with a inflation adjuster that about the same price. We would save up knowing that we would use them for the rest of our lives. How many are willing to do that? How many of your wives shop at Walmart ?
I do not shop at Wallyworld, and my wife does not either.

Colleagues and friends here. I have read all the posts here and can certainly understand most perspectives. I would like to share my experience, which may or may not agree with your perception.

I am an electrical engineer and in the 60's and 70's worked for GTE Automatic Electric in Brockville, canada, designing electronic common control end office switches, pabx's and apartment entrance systems.

As my young family expanded we felt it was time to turn our large attached garage into a three room addition. Money was tight, but I was a DIY'er and said I could do it. Needing power tools I bought a Black & Decker drill and jig saw for about $9 each and a low end circ saw for about $29, could have been $39.

Finished the project and all worked well, the tools served me well. The circ saw got shoved away and never used much, but the drill and jig saw continued to be used occasionally.

As I moved on in my career I wanted to do more design for consumer products rather that stuff that no one knew about. And in 1981 and opportunity came up to join the design team at Black & Decker in my original town.
They had a huge manufacturing facility, quite vertically integrated, with a magnesium die casting foundry, plastic molding area, and we made all of our own motors with many field and armature winding lines.

After a few months of getting there, there was some organisation changes and I ended up managing the test labs as well as my original design position. And this turned out to be a real eye opener. B&D tested all of the competitors DIY products. Wen, Skill, Pet, Craftsman..and the list went on.

B&D's goal was to provide ultimate value to the DIYer...ie best function at the lowest cost...with a two year warranty. And from all of our testing we out performed the consumer products by a significant margin and at lower cost. However Craftsman power tools were different. While they were typically more expensive than ours, they were often better performers. At the time I was involved, Craftsman power tools were made by Singer. While most of our competitors failed due to motor issues, Craftsman/ singer held up very well and were perhaps more robust than the average DIYer required.

As time moved on we changed manufacturing locations and had our own plants in Mexico and China. I was fortunate to visit a number of our suppliers in China. I think I have seen the low of the low and also some of the best. But what I can tell you from my experience is that there are many Chinese suppliers that can provide you with exactly what you want on quality, on cost, on time.

I retired from B&D 6 years ago just about the time that Stanley acquired them, so can not comment on where they are now. All I can say is that of all the products that I helped design for DIY consumers, I feel proud and firmly believe they delivered good value.

Now before I leave... Just a thought. I think most of the folks posting on this thread are perhaps older than 25 when I used my first B&D tools. Do we think perhaps as we have gained more experience and perhaps wealth, we have moved up to another level?

All the best,

David

Sorry, I disagree. It all starts with the consumer and works down the chain with sales and marketing, accounting, and then the engineer. Engineers are given the constraints to design by. How many times have you read threads that the very first thing is that cost or budget is important? We as consumers no longer want to save to buy what we want, we just want it now and then complain that something doesn't last as long as we think it should. So to put it another way, you would not be happy with the cost of something if the "engineers designed the best possible machine".
The same widget I designed and built 30 years ago started out made of 4140 heat treated material. The same widget made today is dimensionally the same but the material changed from 4140 to 1040/1045 steel with no heat treat. And the price is less today than what it sold for back in 1987! The customers wanted a cheaper price? They got a cheaper price with a sacrifice in how long it would last. Quality was still there, it met the criteria of dimensional requirements and made the customer happy! Even though, design parameters were sacrificed a little.

This has got fun which was the intent.

But there has always been the get what you pay for levels where you expect certian things at different price points.

But the issue here is a given item at a given price point has established a certian expectation of given quality and over time corners are trimmed to save cost but when these are trimmed the design could have still maintained performance but failed.

The starting item was the RAS.

The old design has 4 bearing wheels with 2 on each side allowing a good ability to maintain tracking with what seems to be easy to manufacture (read cheap) process.

New design is rolled steel which is cheaper to make but has a rail formed down the center with only 2 guide wheels with 2 on the outside.

The geometry sucks and poor bearings make worse.

The over arm on our cast iron model has round steel for "ways" and that could have been formed in the new one so instead of keeping working design they came up with new and "inproved"....

The DRO was nice until it quit....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back