They’re coming for our jobs!!

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

I think it’s time to brush up on the story of Ned Ludd. A revolution is upon us.

Also, I sure wish I knew where to get technical training in keeping these things running. How cool would it be to take one apart to replace shoulder and elbow bearings? I can already imagine rushing one to the maintenance department on a gurney with an IV drip of sewing machine oil.

I know it just for fun, but this stuff irks me.
A)They've been coming for our jobs since the Industrial Revolution started. That was the whole point of the steam engine.
B)This is a ridiculous use of technology with no industrial purchase. An advertising gimmick.

I worked for a specialty fabric company that had to supply hundreds upon hundreds of different types of fabric tapes. My job was to put the tapes in barcoded bins and register them in a computer. The computer controlled gantry then carried the bins to a place in a specially designed storage area that was about 3 stories high and very unfriendly to humans. There were three motors: one for vertical movement, one for horizontal, can one controlled the "retrieval scoop". The system was extremely reliable.

This gimmick wouldn't last a week, and is just another way to keep the AI Apocalypse narrative alive.

So, I work in machine maintenance at a small factory. Probably everyone here that's of working age has the potential of being the one who has to fix these things whenever they do come after the low wage jobs represented here, and get paid well for doing it.

But, this isn't what anyone in manufacturing in the "first world" should be worried about. Booth school MBA's have been shipping everything they can overseas for a couple of generations now so that's something new.

Folks who should be concerned are "knowledge" workers who's jobs can be replaced by AI technology. Actually, I could have had ChatGPT write this for me....

Or did I?

John

Back