They’re coming for our jobs!!

Well, I've told people for years that if your job can be replaced by a shell script, you need to upgrade your skills.
I've been studying and working with different aspects of "AI" since '98. I use quotes, because at various times the name has changed (machine learning, experts systems, etc), because reality fell so short of the hype that it was embarrassing. Everything we've ever known as 'AI' has really just been a filtering system on steroids.

EX: To write your post, ChatGPT would look through a huge amount of previous writings and filter out those that do not seem to apply here, and then cobble together pieces of those writing to form what looks like human speech. This is actually much easier than it sounds, once you identify various constructs that we use to assemble sentences.

The thing missing with all AI is motivation. Why is it selecting and assembling those shards of text? It's just running through a list of instructions. All the motivation lies with the user.

Also, I sure wish I knew where to get technical training in keeping these things running. How cool would it be to take one apart to replace shoulder and elbow bearings? I can already imagine rushing one to the maintenance department on a gurney with an IV drip of sewing machine oil.
YouTube has many vids that point to the difference between the levels it will take to maintain these machines. And it’s much more accurate to point out these things will need to be maintained and I wouldn’t doubt upgraded.

The story of the Luddites is very apropos. But the reason they actively rebelled was because they were forced to take a pay cut or forced out because they became tenders instead of craftsmen in the weaving of cloth. If you look at the number of actual jobs they went up with industrialization. Henry Ford for all his faults was the only one who got working in an industrial plant shouldn’t mean your wages should go down, they should be able to afford the products they are producing. What a concept!

Read “Nomadland” and see what it’s like to work in an Amazon warehouse where you walk 14mi+ a day and are timed and tracked. Let a robot do that job IMHO. I’ll do maintenance any day of the week.

If they can build one that can replace a toilet seal, change the sparkplugs in my Subaru and pick up the dog poop in the yard, I'm in!!!!!

Henry Ford for all his faults was the only one who got working in an industrial plant shouldn’t mean your wages should go down, they should be able to afford the products they are producing.
Actually, Rudolph Diesel shared similar ideas. I am currently reading "The Mysterious Case of Rudolph Diesel" and I must say it is quite interesting.

Reminds me of the story about the car plant exec who invited the union steward to tour his new automated plant.
Exec: look at this, robots never strike, they work in the dark and heat reducing electric bills, no insurance and benefits, no breaks nor holidays..... What you think about that, we can eliminate the hassle of you and your people and increase profits....
Union Steward: Thinks for a moment then says, how many cars do those things buy?

At one point in the video it seems like they were arguing that The robots would take away jobs that were causing humans injury in unsafe working environments. I would think that is the sweet spot for robotics.

At one point in the video it seems like they were arguing that The robots would take away jobs that were causing humans injury in unsafe working environments. I would think that is the sweet spot for robotics.
Yup and cheep undocumented workers will do the work Americans will not....

In that case, you don't introduce a fragile, energy hungry, anthropomorphized robot. The ankles, knees, hips, elbows and head are completely useless for a bin picker, other than attracting Foolish Investor Money and media attention.

Last edited:
Hot dog? Not hot dog?

Last edited:
Back