Things I recently learned about small engine repair shops.

I like the story of the small engine mechanic who was looking for a place to spend his retirement.

He loaded a snowblower up in the back of his truck and headed south. First place where someone asked what it was he stopped and settled down. :grin:

John

I like the story of the small engine mechanic who was looking for a place to spend his retirement.

He loaded a snowblower up in the back of his truck and headed south. First place where someone asked what it was he stopped and settled down. :grin:
Now that there is funny ! :laughing:

This is a great thread which I may contribute to . I make a few bucks flipping tractors , snowblowers as well as anything with a motor . I picked up a hydro Toro for free 2 weeks ago and put 11 bucks into it . It runs like a top and I'll get $500 bucks out of it . 10 minutes work and a beer to enjoy while doing it . I own an Ariens blower as well . Bought it brand new for 599.99 and still has the tag on it . Used once with ethanol gas , maybe 10 years ago . Hasn't run since . I'll get it back up and running one day but it's not on the hot to do list . I own shovels , have 3 kids and a wife , and the Kubota FEL for snow duty ( at least one of the mentioned handles the snow ) ! :big grin: As far as working on these things , it's what I enjoy and find it much more entertaining than machining something . It is also more profitable for me . Chainsaws are another issue . Repairs can sometimes be quite expensive . They wanted more to fix my Stihl than what I paid for it new . They didn't even pull anything and said I needed a full repower . BS . I bought a pair of new Huskies . To say the least , my garage is packed with things people gave up on . Not me . I enjoy the learning from my failures . :) I also happen to live 5 minutes from these guys who treat me VERY well .

If you've ever had the pleasure of taking one of these apart you'll soon find out why repair is often more than the machine is worth. I had plenty of customers like you where I had to talk them out of fixing something, my general thought is if repair is more than 1/3 the cost of buying new it doesn't make sense.

John

Trouble is the governor often breaks on the inside. Then the only way to get at it is to remove the engine, extract the pulley if you can (9 years of rust is a powerful thing), and open the side cover to get at those parts.

Fine thing to do if you just want to check it out but when you're charging $70/hr the bill can get out of hand very quickly. Repowering is an option but at ~$450 you're way to far along the path to replacement (and again rust).

This generation of Ariens probably has the Briggs 305cc 8hp motor, I used to build them up for kart racing to over 30hp....

John
The few comments above were almost exactly what the shop owner had told me that eventually convinced me to have faith in him, that I was making the right choice, I do appreciate all the thought and opinions I received in this thread but as an ex "small engine repair shop" owner, your posts made me look at the whole picture , it was easy to be cynical when I was too frustrated to see both sides. thank you for chiming in .

Yeah, I too was hoping John would chime in as I knew he would have a piece of the puzzle that I didn’t have.

I have a neighbor who asked me where to get rid of a basically new Craftsman 4cycle weed eater. He said it wouldn’t start, so I asked if I could take a look. It was something in the starter pawl as it wouldn’t catch consistently. Took it apart and it had the cheapest flimsiest mechanism I think I’ve ever seen and basically a little sheetmetal clip had failed. Told him to get a new part and they had changed it and it wasn’t available. So that to me would be a double fail if it was in a shop and I was facing the customer. To charge him to tell him I can’t get parts.

Yeah, I too was hoping John would chime in as I knew he would have a piece of the puzzle that I didn’t have.

I have a neighbor who asked me where to get rid of a basically new Craftsman 4cycle weed eater. He said it wouldn’t start, so I asked if I could take a look. It was something in the starter pawl as it wouldn’t catch consistently. Took it apart and it had the cheapest flimsiest mechanism I think I’ve ever seen and basically a little sheetmetal clip had failed. Told him to get a new part and they had changed it and it wasn’t available. So that to me would be a double fail if it was in a shop and I was facing the customer. To charge him to tell him I can’t get parts.
Good point Tony.
I suppose two words any repair shop person hates to hear, unavailable and discontinued. lol.

Last edited:
Good point Tony.
I suppose two word any repair shop person hates to hear, unavailable and discontinued. lol.
Even worse “it’s the nature of the beast”. That was the line that drove me out of auto repair in the late 80’s. My mom had ‘80 Olds Omega. From the day they bought it, it was never right. The thing that drove me crazy was if you were on the highway with the cruise on after about an hour the check the engine light would come on. It had full gauges and you could see nothing was amiss. If you kicked it out of cruise the light would go off. Cruise on, it would come back on eventually. I asked one of my teachers at college about it and he’d done a training with the man at GM who designed the C3 system and he asked him about it. His reply, nature of the beast. His fix, put a piece of tape over the light :(

This is a great thread which I may contribute to . I make a few bucks flipping tractors , snowblowers as well as anything with a motor . I picked up a hydro Toro for free 2 weeks ago and put 11 bucks into it . It runs like a top and I'll get $500 bucks out of it . 10 minutes work and a beer to enjoy while doing it . I own an Ariens blower as well . Bought it brand new for 599.99 and still has the tag on it . Used once with ethanol gas , maybe 10 years ago . Hasn't run since . I'll get it back up and running one day but it's not on the hot to do list . I own shovels , have 3 kids and a wife , and the Kubota FEL for snow duty ( at least one of the mentioned handles the snow ) ! :big grin: As far as working on these things , it's what I enjoy and find it much more entertaining than machining something . It is also more profitable for me . Chainsaws are another issue . Repairs can sometimes be quite expensive . They wanted more to fix my Stihl than what I paid for it new . They didn't even pull anything and said I needed a full repower . BS . I bought a pair of new Huskies . To say the least , my garage is packed with things people gave up on . Not me . I enjoy the learning from my failures . :) I also happen to live 5 minutes from these guys who treat me VERY well .

Love Jacks, many times I had to go to them for stuff that was discontinued or I couldn’t get from my regular suppliers.

They have great prices on new engines too if anyone wants to take a shot at repowering something.

John

Back