Things I recently learned about small engine repair shops.

Love Jacks, many times I had to go to them for stuff that was discontinued or I couldn’t get from my regular suppliers.

They have great prices on new engines too if anyone wants to take a shot at repowering something.

John
Hey John . I'm on a first name basis with these guys and girls and am considering working for them depending on my future issues . It is a 5 minute drive for me . I've spent numerous hours in their shop hanging out with them . The shop is pretty nice but zero machine tools as we know them . They loved the idea of having an onsite machinist . But anyways , I spend way too much money at the place , but they do give me stuff for free also . They have had or have gotten me anything and everything I've ever dreamed of too like you said . If it was manufactured , they'll find it . As it is , the pay stinks from what they tell me . That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I do retire . I find it enjoyable to be around this kind of stuff ..................................maybe I'm sick . :big grin:

Like John I spent many years in the small engine repair business. I started in the early 1960's when still in high school as a part time job and did it through the late 1970's when I sold the repair shops. I learned from 2 uncles that both had small engine shops. One had a shop that specialized in Bolens and Ariens machines until the 1990's. I loved the later model Bolens machines and had a couple over the years. My love affair with them ended when specialized parts no longer became available. The last straw was having to pay $175.00 wholesale for a coil for one of the tractors. Bolens had it specially made for that model. The Ariens snowblower that was recently repaired was purchased from him in 1990. It's still running strong, although it could use some fresh paint.

Unlike John or any of my relatives I chose to repair machines only. No new or used equipment sales. Only 1 time did I sell a used machine to a customer and regretted it. The guy was cheap to say the least. So cheap in fact that he thought he could use 32;1 gas/oil mix in any engine he had rather than straight gas in 4 cycle engines. About once a month he would call complaining the mower I sold him wouldn't start. I took it in cleaned out the gas tank, put in a new plug and it started every time. After the third time in he admitted he was using the gas/oil mix. It would run ok as long as the engine was hot, but once it cooled down it either wouldn't start or was extremely hard to start.

When I found he was using the gas/oil mix I cautioned him not to do it in the future. He got a little heated and said: It's my mower, and I'll use the kind of gas I want too". That's when we parted ways. I had to tell him that if he continued to use the mix, I would refuse to do any future repairs. It was a money losing situation from the beginning. I thought I was doing him a favor by selling him a used machine for $25.00. In the end I spent more in time and materials than it was worth. From then on, all the machines that couldn't be repaired or were cheaper to replace than repair went home with the customer or to the recycler.

It's the cost of labor that limits repairs on most things. The labor cost isn't so much what the employee takes home ,but the other associates costs. Workmans comp can be 20 percent or more . Federal taxes are 15.3 percent on payroll. Then there are state taxes on top of that. On top of that is the overhead that has to be figured in and a shop that charges 90 or 100 a hour can only afford to pay 20 to 30 to their employees. Strange word we live in.

It's the cost of labor that limits repairs on most things. The labor cost isn't so much what the employee takes home ,but the other associates costs. Workmans comp can be 20 percent or more . Federal taxes are 15.3 percent on payroll. Then there are state taxes on top of that. On top of that is the overhead that has to be figured in and a shop that charges 90 or 100 a hour can only afford to pay 20 to 30 to their employees. Strange word we live in.
Newer shops around here advertise their lower hourly charge in the hopes of competing with the well established shops, $75 is the average in my city but $60 is often seen, I don't know how they can survive , the lower wage mechanice also offer pickup/drop off or onsite tune-ups;

Newer shops around here advertise their lower hourly charge in the hopes of competing with the well established shops, $75 is the average in my city but $60 is often seen, I don't know how they can survive , the lower wage mechanice also offer pickup/drop off or onsite tune-ups;
No over head on this, part time out of house.
For a tune up only parts needed fuel filter and plug so $5 to $10 in parts hmmm I should do this.

$30 an hour and I'd retire to the garage ! :encourage:

No over head on this, part time out of house.
For a tune up only parts needed fuel filter and plug so $5 to $10 in parts hmmm I should do this.
Don't forget the oil change, and draining the old gas, and the carb kit.....

There was/is an old guy that worked out of his garage when I started my business (actually two). One of them had a great saying, "people want me to make chicken soup, but they bring me chicken **it"

If you can do this work from your garage, and aren't worried about liability I'd say go for it. There's lots of need and working with no overhead is really the only way to make it pay.

Let me know if you need any tips ;)

John

About 25 years ago I purchased my first snowblower Honda. three years ago we were moving and so I decided to sell it and get another in the new city we were moving to. It was still working as new. It sold in a day for $200 less than I paid new. Must have been 10 offers, people love these things.

Prices had gone up, a new Honda forget the model with the tracks and continuous variable speed transmission was not cheap, fortunately dealer had a nice used one recently traded in because the owner moved to a condo. I have only had it 3 years, hope it is as good as the last one. I’m a huge fan of Honda small engine stuff.

similar experience with lawnmowers, same time I purchased the new Honda I also purchased a craftsman lawnmower, it sucked, sold it after a year and purchased a new Lawnboy, it sucked even more. Walking down our street guy has an old Honda for sale $50, I buy it he tells me it’s old, it runs like a top for the next 20+ years, cuts way better than the new Craftsman or Lawnboy. I sold it for $30 when we moved and bought a used craftsman with a Honda engine, it ran well but was just not as good as my old Honda, sold it and bought a brand new genuine Honda, I’m happy again just like the original.

The Honda is quieter, easier to maneuver and cuts better. Never an issue to start. I’m a Honda fanboy.

Last edited:
About 25 years ago I purchased my first snowblower Honda. three years ago we were moving and so I decided to sell it and get another in the new city we were moving to. It was still working as new. It sold in a day for $200 less than I paid new. Must have been 10 offers, people love these things.

Prices had gone up a new Honda forget the model with the tracks and continuous variable speed transmission was not cheap, fortunately dealer had a nice used one recently traded in because the owner moved to a condo. I have only had it 3 years, hope it is as good as the last one. I’m a huge fan of Honda small engine stuff.
I think Honda small engines on any machine is a safer bet than B & S and LCT ,etc. I have a Honda lawnmower with electric ignition (Honda HRX) and after 8 years of use I've had zero problem with it, I couldn't find a snowblower with Honda engine in my area ,I'm sure the price would have been much higher.

For you guys up north , the son pulled back home from Toronto Sunday night bringing Toronto's salt home with him on the truck ! Please it that snow NOTB ! :big grin:

Back