Thinking about a Multi Purpose Welder ?

I just replaced my Campbell Hausfeld (18-year-old) MIG welder that was underwater due to IRMA in 2017 BUT still welded great. I purchased an EASTWOOD MP140i so far I am very impressed. It is a MIG, TIG, STICK machine & I am very impressed with it. I comes with everything except welding gas. I have mig welded with the .023 wire provided & .035 wire. It burns 1/8 6011, 6013, 7018 rods well. I did have a problem with a gas leak in the regulator tank gauge, I called them & had a new regulator 2nd day Fex Ex was told to keep the faulty regulator. I have not used TIG yet due to no Argon but will be soon.

Harbor Freight also has Vulcan welders. I purchased a multi function unit and have been very pleased with its performance. It's my understanding that an ex Lincoln engineer designed it for Harbor freight.
I have only run the machine on 240v.

I've been interested in these type for a while, but it seems like you need AC TIG for aluminum, and only expensive name brand units have it. Much cheaper to get a spool gun for my MIG. And aluminum would be the biggest reason for me to upgrade. Though I admit that I am not an expert in welding processes. Is there more I'm missing?

I have Chinees TIG/stick and MIG/stick. Total cost for both was under $1300. Love um!

Same as mine. Great welder!

I have a lot of friends with import inverter welders. They have had some very good results. I have a friend with an AHP and an Everlast. The Everlast had some quality issues that made it useless for welding, but it still worked as a plasma cutter. The guy who bought it is a contractor, and it paid for itself about 5 times over during a weekend emergency job, so according to him, it was an excellent deal, even though it doesn't weld. He already has a great welder, so he doesn't want to fiddle with the Everlast.

Thanks for all the replies.
It seems that the concept of Multi-Purpose is not an issue as many of you spoke well of the units you have.
It seems the question is whether or not to give a shot at the HF model.
They have (3) different Multi-Purpose models with similar capabilities spec'd.
The one I listed in my 1st post is their mid price unit.
With a 20% Off Coupon it can be had for $560.+Tax and supplies.
I've got to give it at least a weekend to think over.

I'm a very inexperienced welder, but a well practiced miser and over thinker. I spent about a year researching before buying a much more expensive than originally budgeted welder.

The only spec based drawbacks I came across when looking at multi-function machines is that nothing is free. If you were to buy a single function machine for the same price as a multi-process, the single function will be a better, and often significantly better machine for that one process.

Also look closely at the details, the capabilities, and features not simply duty cycle and max power. How easily can you switch processes, switch polarity, change gasses etc. Some make this very easy, some literally require some disassembly of the machine. For stick welding look at the stick comparability, some work with almost everything, some are rather limited (most of the multi-process machines don't like 6010). The bigger names Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, make this info fairly easy to find and compare, some of the cheaper machines don't list things clearly making it hard to make a really good comparison.

The multi-process machines seem to be great for dabblers which applies to many of us hobbyists, but might come up a little short if you are mostly after one process and just thinking about the others as an after thought.

Last edited:
If you need shop space I think the multipurpose is a great choice. For a welding machine I would not look at anything except Miller or Lincoln because of service and support. I have both of these mfg and have had to call for help a few times, and have been impressed with the support available. If your machine quits its no longer cheap, especially if you have jobs to get to customers. Jack

Back