Thinking of Getting Keyway Broach and Arbor Press

The key advantages of an arbor press are speed (a few strokes, not many pumps) and tactile feel. You can feel the movement of the ram and this really helps when you're pressing something into place, like when a bearing bottoms out in a bore. The disadvantages are lower pressure limits and a fixed pressing distance. Granted, 6000# is a lot of pressure but not compared to 12-20 tons! Pressing distance is a big deal; a fraction of an inch is the difference between can and no can.

To be honest, I would go with the hydraulic press for the value it represents. You will have waaay more room to press long stuff and this can make a huge difference at times. You can apply a great deal of pressure with minimal effort and while you do not have nearly the tactile feedback as with an arbor press, you can feel the resistance when something bottoms. The real kicker is, of course, cost. A hydraulic press is far cheaper than a big arbor press and that alone is enough to really make me think.

Personally, I don't broach very often. In fact, my set has been on semi-permanent loan for the last 10-15 years and I don't miss it. However, I use my Dake hydraulic press far more often for other things so that's the way I chose to go.

I had a chance at a 3 ton Dake arbor press once but the guy wanted over $450 for it, and it had a broken table; not a good deal for me. If another one showed up for a good price, I will go for it and have both!

Mike,

Thanks for your input.

I was typing while you were responding. Like you, I've had very little need for a broach but when the need arises it has been a real PITA to try and get the job done without proper tools. So the broach set is on its way.

As far as the press goes, I'm thinking the hydraulic press is the way to go too. I thought it would be more versatile and for the very few times I will actually use it to broach something, the extra time will not be an issue. I also just found a deal at Princess Auto for an 8 ton pneumatic long stroke cylinder, for $60. I could always get that to replace the one that comes with the other hydraulic press.

Looks like I need to make another trip into the city to get the hydraulic press while its on sale.

Accusize broache set. Nice.
Pumping hydraulic handle is sweet work. Don't complain, the broach is doing the hard part. Someone else, complained about adjusting a micrometer., for gawds sake. Shees, some blokes want it all done for 'em., or we just getting lazier?
Check out Abom, You Tube, he broaches often, and press fits lots of goodies in his Powered and Manual Hydraulic Press. It's like peeling an orange, it's not the work, it's the doing and achieving.
Wish I had that set, Hey.
Mark Needham

I did a search and and went back 10 pages but didn't find a link to a press you built. I did find a link to some you restored though. Do you have a link to your build?
the thread "show your homemade press" #13----Dave
Mark in Indiana was the member who started the thread on Feb 16, 2016

Last edited:
the thread "show your homemade press" #13----Dave
Mark in Indiana was the member who started the thread on Feb 16, 2016

Found it! I like that setup and I'd be tempted to copy it if I could find some gears and a big hand wheel. But I've already got too many projects on the go. That is how I got here. Started with the snowblower conversion I just completed. I found a couple of leaking fittings and discovered they were not NPT but BSPP. So I replaced one but I couldn't find the adapter I wanted for the other one so I figured I would make one. But I need a taper attachment on my lathe to cut the NPT threads. I found a post about using a wire drive attached the cross feed dial, using a pulley turned to a specific diameter. So I got that figured out and quickly discovered I need to cut a slot for the new pulley. Couldn't cut the slot with what I have so I now have a new broaching set on the way and picked up a hydraulic press a few hours ago.

All this and $600 for the new tools so I finish making a pulley so I can make a part that I could probably buy for $20. :eek 2: Apparently I'm not lazy ........ but maybe not too bright.:)

Now to unload the boxes the press came in and start assembling it.

I have a Famco 3 ton. I would trade it any day for a decent hydraulic press. 3 ton is way to small.

I have a Famco 3 ton. I would trade it any day for a decent hydraulic press. 3 ton is way to small.
I don't know if it's a decent one but here it is all ready to squash something. Now I just have to wait for the broach set to arrive.
DSCN2833.JPG

Should do. Even has a foot assist for when you're positioning the work under the ram. Might consider putting it on some casters so you can move it around at need.

Can't tell but I hope those pressing plates are solid steel and not cast. Cast plates have been known to shatter.

Watch, within the next month or two, arbor presses are going to pop up all around you!

Should do. Even has a foot assist for when you're positioning the work under the ram. Might consider putting it on some casters so you can move it around at need.

Can't tell but I hope those pressing plates are solid steel and not cast. Cast plates have been known to shatter.

Watch, within the next month or two, arbor presses are going to pop up all around you!

Casters sounds like a good idea!

How can I check to see if the plates are cast or solid steel?

There might be a bunch of arbor presses coming up but I wont know because I am not going to look. :cower: What I don't know won't upset me.

I tried pumping it and it doesn't seem to take very long to go to it full travel. I think this will work fine for my needs. At least for now.

Back