This is impossible to work, but it did

Looks like many of our production machines in at work . Linear slides and bearings and acme screws . Wonder if he ever put servos on it ? I liked how all the handles worked in reverse when feeding , that would take awhile to get used to .

i like the guy's ingenuity, but the lathe is a chatterbox waiting to happen due to lack of rigidity.

the pillowblock headstock bearings are not suitable for precise turning, hence the surface finish on his 4 way toolpost handle
(i won't even go into headstock alignment, spindle alignment, or rail alignment)

but if you have absolutely no other choice, the homemade lathe will reduce stock!

He just did more then 90% of the young adults in the world have done. As much of a waste that I think it is, I will give him credit for attempting to build something that is not on a video screen. I bet he could have picked up a decent used lathe for what he has in the parts.

I was trying to figure out how to improve it. Maybe reduce the swing for rigidity. Use better headstock bearings. Bolt on the headstock so it could be aligned and shimmed, etc.
Robert

I was thinking about using rodless cylinders for auto feeds .

Back