This is impossible to work, but it did

I was trying to figure out how to improve it. Maybe reduce the swing for rigidity. Use better headstock bearings. Bolt on the headstock so it could be aligned and shimmed, etc.
Robert
Use fasteners you can actually tighten? I mean, Philips screw heads are good for drywall screws but not much more than that. But then they are cheap.

He aligned the headstock with a carpenters square. What, you don't trust that???
Pretty clever and ambitious though!
Robert
I wonder what the tolerances are on a carpenter's square?

I bet this guy makes things that many here would think was impossible simply because the guy doesn't know hes not supposed to be getting precision parts from a homemade machine built using a carpenter's square!

He now has 25 YouTube clip on his channel and 198,000 subscribers!
All of the videos are ingenious and rough and/or dangerous by our standards. But I bet nobody has told him "you can't do that!" so he just goes and does what he believes he's capable of. If you really want to scare yourself, watch him build an air compressor....
His channel is called "Let's learn something" Sound great to me!
Most young people in our society don;t have that belief in themselves - and play unproductively on their iphones. I bet this guy is admired by a lot of his peers.....
Interesting isn't it?

Last edited:
Super rigid? Nope. Super precision? Nope. Can it make stuff? Yup. Did the young man learn lessons that will pay him dividends his entire life. Yup.
Kind of reminds me of when I was kid. No one on our block could afford "real" scooters so we made them out of scrap wood, orange crates and roller skate halves. Learned at an early age there are lots of ways to skin a cat and the tremendous financial benefits of doing it yourself...............Bob

Back