[Newbie] Thoughts On This Mill

If you want to throw an engine block up on the table the you are going to need a riser block for the turret. The riser block goes between the turret and the column to raise the entire ram up. It is possible to build one if one is not available, they are not real common. Sometimes I could use an extra 6 inches (of spindle height;)). I have done a lot of head, manifold, piston work on a BP size machine, and normally wished I had a larger machine. I'm not sure how you would use a boring bar attached to the mill, but I have only used a VanNorman 777 for automotive, and always bolted it to the block. I have used a small Kwik-Way for motorcycles and power equipment engines, but that was a stand alone boring machine.

For what you are doing I think I would be looking for a 10x54 table machine, it's about 1/3 larger than a BP. This will get you into a machine that weighs around 3500 lbs, and will handle 500 lbs on the table. All of them have a dovetail ram, and many have the eye on the back as an accessory head mount.

Don't be afraid of a made in Taiwan import machine, there are a lot of good ones out there.

Something like this is what I have in mind, pretty much like mine. This particular one is an Enco, but they are pretty much all the same.

If you plan on doing a lot custom head work, a CNC might be an option. Great for pocketing combustion chambers. But....if you get a get a CNC, get one that can also be used manually. They exist, I own one, and I have seen a few for sale.

Here's one. Note that it has hand wheels as well as servos. 10x50 table. Same frame as above.

Last edited:
Funny I recognize both those pictures :)

Good advise on the turret extension, I have seen those and sounds like a good way to expand capabilities.

The table specs are a reason I was looking at the 847, here are the specs, you probably know all of this already

Standard features include:
- Variable speed head with exclusive direct lever control for quick. easy speed adjustment.
- A precision vernier scale for quick depth setting. - Rigid overarm on wide dovetails.
- The spindle is supported by four (4) angular contact bearings for added rigidity and precision.
- Stronger head clamping than usually found.
- 3 3/8" quill with the choice of #30 MMT or R-8 spindle taper.
- Heavier than usual 10" x 48" table with coolant channels and 34" of travel. Available in manual or with optional power speed.
- One-shot lube system.
- Heavy-duty saddle.
- Full hand wheels have large dials which are graduated in increments of .001
- A power quill feed that is available at all spindle speeds and rated for a 5/8" diameter drill. 60% greater than most knee-type mills.
- Large, heavily ribbed knee with wide ways.
- Way covers.
- Massive column and base for maximum machine rigidity.
- Hand-scraped hard chrome ways.

I was hoping to get one with the 30 taper just to be a little over kill (I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy haha)

I saw this set up and seems like a good space saver as long as it can do it accurately.

I do mostly older American Muscle car work and just have a bad taste in mouth over the Chinese crap that gets poured on us. Hard to convince a guy that needs my services to spend extra to get an American part when my prize piece of equipment has hieroglyphics on the side of it haha

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice machine. I wonder what a new one costs?

Much more than I can justify! It would certainly be fun though.

Would those two mills you posted compare to those specs I posted? Are ENCO mills well regarded?

I grabbed those pictures as examples, not necessarily as an endorsement.

The specs are similar. Same size quill, around the same weight. Normally have a 3 bearing spindle, many have a 30 taper. I had my NMTB 30 spindle rebuilt and upgraded to a 5 bearing.

The older Enco Taiwan mills are pretty good. Some of the newer stuff is coming out of China, and it's my opinion that they don't measure up to the older stuff.

Supermax, Acer, Eagal, Kent, and several others that I can't think of right now are good machines. In the used market it's all about condition.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from HGR and most have been at a good price but all have been project machines. You definitely need to go look before buying. The amount of damage some of these machines have seen is unreal. I'm not saying there's not bargains but you need to know what you're getting into first.

I'm open to suggestions. I've looked though HGR's site. They certainly have a large inventory. But the fact that they know nothing about the machine, can't power it up and 500 miles from me doesn't help.

I grabbed those pictures as examples, not necessarily as an endorsement.

The specs are similar. Same size quill, around the same weight. Normally have a 3 bearing spindle, many have a 30 taper. I had my NMTB 30 spindle rebuilt and upgraded to a 5 bearing.

The older Enco Taiwan mills are pretty good. Some of the newer stuff is coming out of China, and it's my opinion that they don't measure up to the older stuff.

Supermax, Acer, Eagal, Kent, and several others that I can't think of right now are good machines. In the used market it's all about condition.

Thanks Jim, you have been a wealth of information. I'd love to stumble across one of these $1500 and comes with a cabinet full of tool deals, but I'm more concerned with getting a decent machine to start with and go from there. The last thing I want to do is drag one home and step one rebuild the head.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from HGR and most have been at a good price but all have been project machines. You definitely need to go look before buying. The amount of damage some of these machines have seen is unreal. I'm not saying there's not bargains but you need to know what you're getting into first.

Thanks Piney. That's the feeling I got looking at their site. They have a lot to choose from, but all looked pretty well used up, not just used. The fact that they don't test the machine, and can't power it up on site before you buy pretty much takes them of my list as I'm too far away to make any return feasible.

I'm still looking. Thanks to all for the help you have given. I can see I need to donate to the site as I'll be here a while and have certainly benefited!

I just bought this 837 a couple weeks ago very happy so far. I can't believe the weight difference over the BP . The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but the machine is very tight and the ways look perfect.

uploadfromtaptalk1451476859620.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just bought this 837 a couple weeks ago very happy so far. I can't believe the weight difference over the BP . The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but the machine is very tight and the ways look perfect.

View attachment 118045

Oh she's a beaut! Handles are shiny even.

What is the difference between the 837 and 847 if you know. I haven't been able to find a Wells Index model break down.

If you don't mind sharing what price range you were in it would help me guage others I'm looking at. Local purchase or dealer? Did you have to ship it?

With both wrecker rides me trailering I have about 3500 into it. It was on the high side cost wise but after wearing my truck out driving everywhere to look at junk it didn't seem too out a line.
It had a some tooling , vise and the manuals were even in the column.
uploadfromtaptalk1451479341184.jpg

Back