Thread dial indicator.

Michael thats something I was asking myself the other day.When you look at the thread dial in action its weird because the gear almost looks still when the carriage is going forward.If it rotates and you can pin or key the gear to the shaft properly I cant see much going wrong with it. I think delrin would work well for this . I ask cause teflon is expensive.:grin:.When I made my gear for my bandsaw I made a hob but pretty much did exactly what you have done. I guessed the angle and then pre gashed it with a slitting saw. Then I used the same hss piece I used to machine the worm and hob..Then I hardened the hob and just let it run into the p bronze gear. It cut a pretty neat gear for a hacker like myself.

Not knowing much about gears I wonder if plastic may be a better choice.How do they flycut gears for spur gears ? Do they try get a more true shape to the piece of hss.?I am referring to the teeth on the perimeter. A hob sorts this out even though its not cutting a true gear.

Cant you show a fellow s african what your mill and and dividing head look like. As Ive said before its lonely being hobby machinest in S. A:)
finish gear.jpgfinish gear.jpg

Here you go. All in one
20180404_090904.jpg
20180404_162456.jpg
20180404_162043.jpg
20180404_161956.jpg
20180404_161728.jpg
I am going to make bigger change gears for my lathe that did not come with my lathe and for fun make a hob for a 12mm pitch leadscrew gear. But that will be in the distant future.

Nice work by the both of you and great pictures.
I would use the teflon gear. As already mentioned it does not work hard.
Just need to find a way to keep it from spinning on the shaft as plunger said.

Last edited:
Sorr
Nice work plunger
Thanks. The dividing head looks brand spanking new.Its a nice to have accessory. Pity our Rand is so weak and we dont have stores like harbour freight.And where I live there are never auctions or bargains on second hand stuff.

You
Nice work by the both of you.
I would use the teflon gear. As already mentioned it does not work hard.
Just need to find a way to keep it from spinning on the shaft as plunger said.
Thank you. You can't see it but I've put a key slot in the gear and will do so on the shaft.

Sorr

Thanks. The dividing head looks brand spanking new.Its a nice to have accessory. Pity our Rand is so weak and we dont have stores like harbour freight.And where I live there are never auctions or bargains on second hand stuff.
It is about a year old and I had to twist my wifes arm alot to buy it. One of our previous members,Mr Mark Frazier, wanted to GIVE me one he restored,but it would have cost me over R12 000 just to ship it here. Pitty. So I bought one here for almost that.

It is about a year old and I had to twist my wifes arm alot to buy it. One of our previous members,Mr Mark Frazier, wanted to GIVE me one he restored,but it would have cost me over R12 000 just to ship it here. Pitty. So I bought one here for almost that.
I bought a second hand one .Its spanish called metachecnica. Doubt there are spares for it and doubt if they are still in business.

Back