Thread dial indicator.

Just a thought but if there is going to be a dial with hash marks on it, at some point you are going to want to time the dial with the half nuts engagement which requires some adjustability somewhere.
Like an adjustable index mark or a dial with a set screw.

Just a thought but if there is going to be a dial with hash marks on it, at some point you are going to want to time the dial with the half nuts engagement which requires some adjustability somewhere.
Like an adjustable index mark or a dial with a set screw.
Maybe I am a bit slow,and forgive me,but I don't quite understand.

You are not slow, at least not slower than I am. :)
When using the thread dial, you have your hand on the half nut lever and wait for the target dial mark to arrive on the index mark. When it arrives on the mark you slam the lever down. But it does not go down at the mark because the half nuts do not mesh with the lead screw at that point. So you keep pressure on the lever and the nuts will close somewhere past the mark. My thread dial gear can be loosened on the shaft and turned so the half nuts will close exactly on the hash mark. Thats what I call timing the dial to the half nuts.
I may not have explained it too well so fire away if you need more info.

Ok,I sped up,I'm with you now. Off to bed with me now.

Thanks Tozguy

When I made my gear I timed it by attaching the gear to the shaft with a set screw. With the set screw just snug I engaged the gear in the lead screw and moved the carriage until the index marks aligned then tightened the set screw. I cut several different pitch threads to confirm the timing then pinned the gear to the shaft with a roll pin. It's worked very well and lasted a long time............Bob

;) I guess you haven't followed the whole thread if you ask the question. No it is a metric leadscrew,this is only the first gear,

Ah, wasn't certain this was the same thread. Well, fwiw, I worked out the repeat distance for the standard metric pitches up to M36 or thereabouts and came up with 1.26 meters :p By way of comparison, inch threads all repeat every 4", and there are only a few oddballs that don't repeat every 1" or less: xx-1/2 TPI threads repeat every two inches and xx-1/4 and xx-3/4 TPI threads repeat every four inches. Unfortunately, the troublesome metric threads are really common (M2.5, M4, and M5) unlike the troublesome inch threads which are really rare.

Did you have a 6mm or a 3mm pitch on your leadscrew? At any rate, finding the right set of gears is going to be tedious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hallo guys.
I have successfully made a thread chasing dial for my 12mm pitch leadscrew lathe wich I will post about when the time comes,but now I have a question I could solve on my own. Is it possible to make a gear for the the leadscrew so I can make imperial threads too using the dial,but with the imperial dial face? I tried a 12 tooth gear,but it doesn't work. Again.....is it possible. Any advice? Thanks guys.

Michael

My prediction is no, it is not. The problem is that basic metric pitches and imperial pitches do not correspond. Some come close but are never really equivalent.

Back