thread measuring 3 wires vs 2 triangles

I'm with Ray and the Doc - I would opt for a thread mic. Direct and accurate reading, easy to use with the work in the lathe chuck and you won't have to search the chip pan for your wires that you WILL drop. I tried clay, tape, styrofoam and all the other "tricks" to hold 3 wires and over time still bent, dropped and lost wires. Of course, I'm a klutz but still, I learned to hate those damned wires! Haven't cussed (as much) since I started using a thread mic.

I have used all three methods; the wires are truly a PITA; the triangles are a little better, the rubber thingies do not work well, so they are slightly less of a PITA than wires, and the thread mikes are the way to go; for most threads we measure under one inch diameter two mikes will do the job and can be picked up used for reasonable money; for over one inch I like the mikes with interchangeable anvils for different ranges of threads per inch; when I had my shop downtown, I had them up to 4 inch, left most there except the 1 inch range and one 2 inch range; at home I find myself using mostly ring gages if I have the proper one or gage nuts that have had a tap run through them to clean out burrs.

I have a set of import wires that were used once. Since then I've stuck with thread pitch mics. Have a 0-1, 1-2, and a 2-3 set. I have a pitch chart in the sets for reference (UNC & UNF). Never lost a mic in the chip pan.

Bruce

We live in bizarre times. For another 20-30$ over set of wires, you get an entire micrometer body, 10 ground anvils, a foam padded plastic case, an adjustment wrench and I'm sure a suitable for framing 'inspection certificate' stamped by someone important.. :) and probably free shipping.
I didn't even think to check the micrometer clones, just assumed they were all expensive.

About the only other thing I can think of wires over mic is they work on any diameter as long as you have standard micrometers. For example a camera lens adaptor, large diameter but fine pitch. Not that I see myself doing that much.

By no means have I had much experience measuring threads but simply looking at the differing ways to measure
I see one thing, only by using the correct wires or perhaps mic anvil do you get a reliable measurement that could be
accurately reproduced in another shop.
Perhaps the triangles might work.
Some of these systems are no more than a comparative measurement for use in your own shop.

I hadn't attempted to cut any threads in (20) years and then in the past month I've done a batch of 7/8"-32 (painful), a couple of 3/4"-32(more pain), a 5/8"-11 for a holding fixture, and a couple of 1/2"-20's.
About the only one I'd be proud enough to show is the 5/8" one. -hehe

Having the change box on the 1440 makes it easier that with the Logan's change gears.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've switched to Joe Pie's upside down reverse method after crashing.

I saw the Joe.P video with reverse direction + inverted threading tool so he can run headstock to tailstock direction. Can you post me the link where you discussed that? I have some questions specifically about that.

Dumb question about thread mic's.
- on 3 wire method, the regular flat mic is perpendicular to part axis because 2 wires are parallel to each other within any 2 threads, so mic is measuring distance across 3 wire tangent points
- on the triangles, regular flat mic is again perpendicular measuring anywhere across the triangle flats, the top/bot V's are displaced by the thread pitch
- now on thread mic, how does it resolve this issue? I'm assuming it has a point or vee or one of each anvil, but how can it align itself perpendicular to axis, especially if it can measure a range of threads?

Back