Threading a barrel for flash suppressor

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I have an older Chinese AK variant to which I am planning on threading the end of the barrel for a flash suppressor (I really don't like the currently installed "pin on" type). The question I have is, once the new threads are cut should I treat them with anything (bluing?) to help prevent rust from developing? (Yes, I already know that bluing is a form of oxidation or "rust" but you know what I'm getting at. :biggrin:)

Thanks,

-Ron

Ron,
I have a couple of AK's I am going to "re-work" as well. I will definitely touch up the threads when I'm finished to help keep any rust at bay.
I use a black oxide solution, but some cold bluing will do the trick as well. Nobody is going to see it anyway right? I think it would be better protection than oil or grease alone.

Just make sure it's 922R compliant when you are done. :whistle:
:D

The barrel place down the street from me always does bluing of the barrel and any add on's. Of course they blue things every day, so no big deal for them. A long time ago I made a bluing tank that was heated and used air pressure for that process and it worked well for that gunsmith. Has anyone done this before? I have two barrels that I want to blue and was thinking about that tank that I built for it. I don't work on guns too much that's why I never built one for myself.
Paul

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I had figured.

As for the 922R (Is there a dumber law on the books than that? Never mind rhetorical question. :rolleyes:) there should be no issue. While this particular gun may have been imported before '90 all the parts that I am adding to it are made right here in the U.S. of A. The compensator/suppressor is from Primary Weapons System, it's the FSC47 http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57&idcategory=6

I've already got the left handed die and a "pilot" tool from Brownell's, I should have some bluing down in the cave but I've yet to go look for it. If I think of it I'll try and get some pics of the whole ugly process. :p

-Ron

If I think of it I'll try and get some pics of the whole ugly process. :p

-Ron
Think hard about it. Otherwise I will have to send you a reminder every hour, on the hour until it is done. :whistle: :biggrin:
Is your die the adjustable type?

What model are you working on and what hardware are you changing. Details man! I want details!
Oh yeah.... and pictures too. :lmao:

Okay, guess I will try a little harder then. :biggrin:

To answer a couple of questions: Yes, I am using an adjustable die. The gun itself is, I believe, a Chinese Mak 90 (So I guess it would have been imported around '90 or so). I plan on replacing the trigger group with a Tapco G2 as well as the stock although I haven't decided on which one yet. I am also considering changing out the handguard for a Midwest Industries Quad rail. http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=241

I'll take some pics of the gun when I bring it home from my office where it's sitting next to my desk. :cool:

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm guessing that no one ever "bugs" you at work, eh? :lmao:

:biggrin: Yeah, you'd think that would be the case.

It's not quite like it sounds though. I run a one-man office where I manage some commercial properties. The only contact I have with people is when there is a problem, so in effect everyone "bugs" me. :banghead: :biggrin:

-Ron

I'm still preparing for doing the work. Here is what I'm starting with...
Your basic Mak90, nothing spectacular there, still a fun gun though.
As you can (sorta) see, the old compensator is pinned on to the barrel. Have I mentioned I really dislike this setup? :p
Here's where I am still "preparing". I received the die and die holder from Global. The die itself is well made (from Poland I believe) but the holder itself is a cheap piece of Chinese junk. It'll get the job done though, well, with bit of help.

I was a little concerned with the die and how it would match up to the new compensator (brand new untested stuff) but I really had no way to check out a left-handed 14m-1 (metric) set of threads. The die would not fit on the threaded pilot shaft that I am planning to use so I wanted to figure out what was going on before I tried to thread the barrel. What I finally ended up doing is going to the hardware store and buying a 14m-2 bolt. I cut the threaded end of the bolt off with a hacksaw and proceeded to use the die to cut some threads on the remaining bolt. It cut some very nice threads but with one little unacceptable problem, the threads are a slightly smaller diameter than the compensator by enough to make the fit feel kind of "sloppy". The small diameter combined with the "parkerizing" on the "pilot" kept the die from threading on to the pilot. Once I was sure the die was okay I ran the pilot through it to clean it up before use.

I know that I could use some different agents to "snug up" the threads but I'd rather have my threads a bit closer to "perfect". That brings me to an issue with the die holder, it is actually a few thousandths too small to expand the die to where I want it. I am using some scotchbrite to remove the paint on the inside of it to hopefully open it up enough. If that doesn't do the trick I may have to put it on the lathe to open it up even more.

Well, that's where I'm at for now. Oh, still trying to find/decide on what I want to do with the stock. It should be something that looks "black ops" but most everything I see on the market looks like cheap plastic junk. Keep looking I guess.

-Ron

Yep, pretty sure thats a MAK 90 (the thumb hole stock is a dead giveaway). I've owned a couple of them. They were produced from 1990 to 1994 and they were all modified (by Norinco) before they were allowed to be imported into the US due to the the old Assault Weapons ban that started in '89 IIRC. They weren't allowed to have screw on muzzle devices or a bayonet lug among other things.

I'll bet the reason that flash hider you have on it now is pinned on is the threads on the MAK 90's were mashed over to prevent being able to screw a normal flash hider/compensator unit. That one appears to slip over the barrel and is only held in place by that cross pin. It's most likely a mod that was done after it got here in the US by a previous owner if that firearm. I can't imagine it feels very stable with that setup and completely understand your displeasure with it.

Since the ban has expired, it's ok to fix the mashed up threads without breaking any laws. I've done it to my MAK the same way you're about to (tap & pilot) with no problems.

One thing to keep in mind is there is a spring loaded retaining pin (forward facing) in the front sight used to retain the flash hider/muzzle brakes that may be missing. Some of my MAK's had the pin just pushed into the front sight and then just peened in so it couldn't come out. The others were just missing the pin and spring altogether. The pin is pretty easy to make and even easier to just buy one, but where's the fun in that?

Shoot me a PM if you have any problems with it. I've built quite a few AK's and even hosted a couple of build parties when I was living in CO. FWIW: I've built from parts kits a Romanian AK47, a Polish AK47 sidefolder, a Bulgarian AK74, a Yugo M70 underfolder, a Yugo M72 RPK, and most recently a Yugo M76 (8mm Mauser:D) sniper rifle. I didn't do too much with my MAK's apart from swapping the underfolder stock on one to a spare solid milled one and swapping the wood stock for a synthetic and fixing the muzzle threads on the other. I guess you could say I'm pretty familiar with them and their quirks. I still have quite a few kits and project guns set back for rainy days. I'm kinda waiting to see when I'll be opening up my gunsmith shop before I decide exactly what I want to do with them.

BTW: Here's how I would fix the sloppy feel. Cut the threads onto the muzzle with the die first. Then screw the new piece onto it hand tight and see where it bottoms out at. If you're lucky, the PWS logo and retaining pin notch "should" stop just barely before 12 o'clock (probably won't be though). If it's not, just remove the new part and chuck it up in a lathe with the threaded end facing out.

Here's a pic of the one I did for my M72 RPK:
IMG_0846.jpg

Then take a few thousandths off the face and recheck it. The idea is to get it to where it turns by hand just ALMOST to 12 o'clock. When you put a wrench to it and tighten, then it should just stop at 12. Make sure the retaining pin I mentioned earlier lines up with the notch. It will be tight, have no slop and not be able to back out while the retaining pin has it locked. I do this on all my AK builds now. Even when using the factory muzzle devices. Works like a charm!

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Last edited:
Back