Threading on a PM1127 lathe - turning instead of threading

This is what's on the lathe itself. What's the top box for? If the middle is metric, the bottom box is inches, what's the top?

gAw2KJH.jpg

I'm just guessing but It could be feed rates for regular turning. ????

Do I even need to use the threading dial? I've been just using the forward/stop/reverse sequence and no issues

You can't use the threading dial for metric threads. You can use it for inch threads, but you don't have to- it's optional
Mark

Ok, good. Because it's confusing to me. I guess the only reason to use the dial is to thread faster as in to disengage the half-nut at the end of the thread, so you can pull the carriage back quicker or if you lose your place if you accidentally disengaged the half-nut?

Also, when threading, should you use the slowest speed when turning?

This all sounds so familiar, I totally know the feeling of dealing with a change gear for the 1st time is intimidating. I took some pics and posted on this thread....
Looks like you got it now, best of luck!!
Check a couple videos, you will see a pattern or rhythm that is helpful to follow and know about before threading.

Takes quite a few passes to cut steel threads- seems to take forever till the nut finally screws on. Last few passes need to be light ones to give good surface finish to the threads
M

I was threading 1/2" stainless yesterday using 24 tpi. This takes patience. I was going .005 at a time and it took a long time. I would've been taking larger cuts if I was working with mild steel.

Should I be using cutting fluid when I'm using a carbide insert when threading? I hear carbide doesn't like cutting fluid.

I also ordered a center gauge today from Amazon.

Back