Threading on a PM1127 lathe - turning instead of threading

I shoulda spent $400 more and gotten the 12x28, which has a quick change gear box

Your lathe will cut more threads than the typical QCGB lathe will. You just have to learn to use it properly.

Go buy the book, Gears and Gear Cutting for Home Machinists, by Ivan Law. It will educate you on how gear trains work and make it clearer how to work with your change gears.

I think I got it to work, just need to tweak it a little bit. The gears are making more noise than it used to. I need to space them out with a piece of paper, like someone here recommended. I'm thinking of getting a .003 feeler gauge and cut it so it can fit between the gears and use that instead from now on.

I'm thinking of getting a .003 feeler gauge and cut it so it can fit between the gears and use that instead from now on.

You cannot do this with a feeler gauge. The paper goes between the gear teeth of the two gears you are trying to mesh. It spaces the two gears by 0.003" so they fully engage but do not rub or bind against each other.

They will be little louder, but not too much. Put paper in the teeth while meshing them together, rotate them to remove the paper. Nothing to it. Make sure you put a little oil on them as well.

I need to make new nuts that hold the gears in place. The ones it came with needs a special tool to loosen/tighten and the set screw is a flat screw instead of an allen

Go buy the book, Gears and Gear Cutting for Home Machinists, by Ivan Law. It will educate you on how gear trains work and make it clearer how to work with your change gears.

Sorry, I meant to point you to a different book, Screw Cutting in the Lathe, by Martin Cleeve.

Last edited:
...... The gears are making more noise than it used to. I need to space them out with a piece of paper, like someone here recommended........
Gears that are meshed too tightly together are noisy. Take a piece of heavy notebook paper or similar and squash it between gears as you mesh the gear teeth together. Then tighten the nuts/bolts/whatever secures the gears in place and rotate the gear train to feed the paper out. Watch this video from 4:20 to 4:55.

Tom

Got these odd nuts that push the gears in. They have a slotted set screw that locks it in place. Thinking of making regular bolts with allen set screws to replace them

5LrDtii.jpg

Those are to adjust the stack height, once set you shouldn't need to mess with them. Removing and installing the gears is done with the square drive on the end of the axle. The lathe came with a T-handle driver for them.

Back