Threading suggestions requested

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I have a 36" x 1" steel rod, 1144 cold rolled. I need to thread the ends for about 4" in.
Anybody have any suggestions on how I can get this done relatively inexpensively?
I have a micro lathe so that will be of no help to me.

If it will fit thru the hole in the headstock you could single point it on the lathe. Or buy a 1” thread die and thread as the earlier post commented. Some of the micro lathes aren’t capable of threading very easily
After thinking it may be cheaper to just take this to a local machine shop. Depends how comfortable you are on a lathe or the cost of a die. Or if you need to make multiple parts
Cheers
Martin

One part but once chance to do it. It's an expensive rod.
Will a die in a handle, (assuming a large handle), cut the solid steel?
I figured this would need to be lathed out.
I looked into something like a pro manual Ridgid pipe threader but the pipe dies don't match real sizes.

Yes the correct type of die will Absolutely cut threads on a solid steel rod. The type of pipe threader is used for treading gas and water pipe in NPT standards.

It will be cheaper and you are more assured of success by taking it to a machine shop and have them screwcut it on a lathe.

The OP never specified what size thread he needs . :dunno:

Threading 4" of thread with a die , there is a very good chance that the threads will run off center. Single point threading is the way to go and, lacking the capability, outsourcing to a machine shop is the best bet. Also, if the machine shop screws it up, it is their dime that pays for it.

Buy 1” all thread rod. Then the whole thing will be threaded. Look in Mc Master-Carr

I thought about all-thread-rod but I don't believe it's a good idea for my use. The rod will be for an arbor in my homemade buffing machine. It'll be going through two pillow blocks inclusing a pulley. What would a reasonable cost be for a machine shop to charge? Lastly, I'm thinking 14TPI, but anything that's common will do.

Back