Threading suggestions requested

I chose 14 TPI merely because my search for regular and jam nuts at Lowes came up that size.

You're looking for an inexpensive way to thread an expensive rod per your posts . Personally , I would go with Thomson Rod and have a machine shop chase it . You're running it thru a pair of pillow blocks , the shaft should be hardened . JMO .

I see no need for the shaft to be hard, regular cold rolled steel will be quite adequate for the use; no way, I would try to cut that thread with a hand die, it is assured to go crooked, having the threads cut in a lathe is the way to go, it should not take a able person more than perhaps 15 minutes to cut the threads, especially if 14TPI.

see no need for the shaft to be hard, regular cold rolled steel will be quite adequate for the use; no way, I would try to cut that thread with a hand die, it is assured to go crooked, having the threads cut in a lathe is the way to go, it should not take a able person more than perhaps 15 minutes to cut the threads, especially if 14TPI.

So in machine shop terms . 1/2 hour to do the job ? Most shops here have a 1 hour minimum charge of $80 an hr . You may need to take on this job ! :)

So you're making a turnbuckle ?This is getting more technical each post . Sounds like shaft for rod ends .

I am basically duplicating the maching in the picture, but for half the cost.
Do I need to make one end left hand turned?

Attachments

• DB13F8D7-E267-4A00-8FE0-D6E6A04E5EEC.jpeg
    DB13F8D7-E267-4A00-8FE0-D6E6A04E5EEC.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 12
Yes, on end needs to the threaded left hand, all grinders and buffers are made that way so that while rotating, the nuts tent to tighten on the grinding wheels ? buffing tools.

Back