Threading tool and holders

I am looking at the set the is shaped like a hand file i do have polishing stones and a few hard edm stones as well

Mikey - im not sure what my relief angle is exactly but ill know more on monday. When honing you are really doing it to just break the edge of the sharp grinding burrs correct? Ive never honed before.

When honing, you are trying to remove the grinding marks left by the wheel or belt and creating a flat plane on each face of the tool. When you do this, the intersection of the planes on the tool are razor sharp and the tool cuts well.

Diamond cards or plates will remain flat over years of use and that is what I use and recommend. The credit card stones are fine for most tools. I use a medium, fine and extra-fine to hone my tools after grinding and the extra-fine after each use. I would buy the ones that Dan linked to. You can get them on Amazon.

So the ones i picked out dont bother with? I figured those were good bc they were a little more versatile

I have those plastic one, too, but the credit card ones have a steel backing and will not flex - important when trying to keep a surface flat.

So the ones i picked out dont bother with? I figured those were good bc they were a little more versatile

I would personally pass on them, as I've used that style before as it was hard to feel when the the tool bit was properly seated on the surface of the hone. Grinding on the periphery of the wheel produces what it is commonly called a hollow grind (arc). When you hone, you want to make sure you are touching the top and bottom of the arc, if your not you can start rounding over the edge of the bit, or altering the angle.

As Mickey said, a properly ground and honed tool is razor sharp.

The photo below shows the side of a honed bit. you can see the original grind in the middle of the bit and then the honed faces at the top and the bottom.

IMG_20180127_203757.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have to get the grind marks out fully or just enough at the top where the tool is cutting?

A diamond stone cuts fast and if you register the tool properly, the face will cut both top and bottom (if using a bench grinder) evenly. Don't worry; its easy. Just keep the face of the tool flat on the stone and let the stone cut; it will cut very fast. Use the medium stone to get the coarse grind marks off and switch to the fine stone until you create a homogeneous surface, then do the same with the extra-fine. Use water to lube and don't get in a rush. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Okay sounds great ill have to hold off on getting the diamond files unfortunately.

Do you have to get the grind marks out fully or just enough at the top where the tool is cutting?

You just want to get the marks at the cutting edge, maybe a 1/16" wide or so. Getting a completely flat face top to bottom, would require a lot of honing. It goes really fast at first because your honing a very small area, but as the honed spot grows it will take progressively longer.

Back