Tilting mill table suggestions

kmanuele

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am looking for a tilting table for my mill. 5x7 table size or thereabouts, with T-slots.

There seems to be a lot of junk out there, though I don't mind having to do some minor tweaks.

It needs to go to a full 45+ degrees. Some of them go only to 40 or so.

Any suggestions??

thanks

I am looking for a tilting table for my mill. 5x7 table size or thereabouts, with T-slots.

There seems to be a lot of junk out there, though I don't mind having to do some minor tweaks.

Any suggestions??

thanks
This is the one I have. I buy from Rotagrip in the UK all the time and they ship to the USA, deduct the 20-percent VAT and add shipping costs (which are typically similar amounts). So this would set you back about $100 or so.

Here are the tilt tables that I use. The first I made, a flat plate bolted to a cylinder is simple to construct and surprisingly solid. For common angles, 0,30 and 45, I milled flats on the cylinder and close the vise on a small tab at the desired flat, forces the angle quite precisely. The second is equivalent to David's post above, and it is a pretty elegant solution. Each has its place. I don't mind adding custom holes to my tilt table, but of course the t-slots on the other table cover a lot of fixturing.

1677970686948.jpeg1677970586023.jpeg

This is the one I have. I buy from Rotagrip in the UK all the time and they ship to the USA, deduct the 20-percent VAT and add shipping costs (which are typically similar amounts). So this would set you back about $100 or so.

Thanks Dave. I might give that one a try. Curiousity -- I see you are from Portland (me too). Why do you buy from Rotagrip?
Here are the tilt tables that I use. The first I made, a flat plate bolted to a cylinder is simple to construct and surprisingly solid. For common angles, 0,30 and 45, I milled flats on the cylinder and close the vise on a small tab at the desired flat, forces the angle quite precisely. The second is equivalent to David's post above, and it is a pretty elegant solution. Each has its place. I don't mind adding custom holes to my tilt table, but of course the t-slots on the other table cover a lot of fixturing.

View attachment 439950View attachment 439949

This solution is interesting. Thanks.

I can see making a couple of those (maybe in smaller form) at fixed angles. I'd have to think about how to cut the auxiliary flats, if the base is round stock.

I have to ask: what is that block and piece of bar stock on the back of your vise?

Thanks Dave. I might give that one a try. Curiousity -- I see you are from Portland (me too). Why do you buy from Rotagrip?
Yep. I’m in NoPo. You? I buy from Rotagrip because a lot of the pro brand items like Albrecht, Royal, Vertex, etc are almost half what they cost if purchased from American distributors. See attached.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List Januauy2022.pdf
    168.7 KB · Views: 17
I have to ask: what is that block and piece of bar stock on the back of your vise?
That is a home made work stop. I can move the diagonal bar up to the right hand side of the vise and tighten the cap screw to hold it there. There's another bar like it on the left side.

Yep. I’m in NoPo. You? I buy from Rotagrip because a lot of the pro brand items like Albrecht, Royal, Vertex, etc are almost half what they cost if purchased from American distributors. See attached.
Good list; however, you have to drill down to near the end of page 2 to get to your book :)

Any suggestions??

thanks
Sorry for the delay, saved the thread so I could give you a link to what I have and what I did to improve it, then lost the thread. Mine is only 4" x 5", but similar construction to other low cost ones.

Good luck, Charlie

I am in Washington county, just beyond Tigard border. Post office says I am in Portland :)

I was a novice, now consider myself amateur (sort of) :) , so thanks for the listing.

K
Sorry for the delay, saved the thread so I could give you a link to what I have and what I did to improve it, then lost the thread. Mine is only 4" x 5", but similar construction to other low cost ones.

Good luck, Charlie
Thanks. I anticipate I will need to do similar. Top and bottom flatness too.

Mine was flat to within 0.001, parallel to bottom and no rocking; maybe one of the advantages to having smaller one?

Back