Tilting Table For Mini Mill

Btw, when purchasing from US based suppliers I have the items shipped to CBU warehouse in Niagara Falls (only $6 as the warehouse fee in addition to US shipping )
Nice! I have been aware there are US to CDN forwarders, but I`ve not had first hand experience. I`ll have to check out CBU; the last item I ordered was Canode spotting compound, and the shipping was more than the purchase.

Sorry for the typo the warehouse is actually CBI not CBU http://www.cbiusa.com/

I have been using them for years and even had my entire LMS 3990 + accessories package shipped to the warehouse address which saved me some significant $ (they also accept heavy shipments by pallet (also cheap) and they don't split the hair if you don't pick it immediately I am finding that metal suppliers in Canada are unreasonably expensive (concluded after a trip or two to the metal supermarket store around here) Now I am thinking to purchase from onlinemetals.com and speedymetals.com shpped to CBI.

Sorry for the typo the warehouse is actually CBI not CBU http://www.cbiusa.com/...metal suppliers in Canada are unreasonably expensive

No worries; a little Google-Fu had me find it under CBI. As to prices, I agree with you. About 3x what the company I previously was with paid for metal (knew it before I purchased the riser block, however). The saw charges are completely out there; still, there is an increased cost keeping and sourcing cut off and low volume numbers.

I recently had Metal Supermarket quote out some Durabar or similar for a dovetail surface master; I was quoted $112.50 for a 65-45-12 bar, 2.5" dia and 19" long.

Jumping in late here, but (and it may or may not work for you) - have you considered a tilting vise instead? I have one and end up using it all the time. But I'm not doing super precision work or turning tough materials - just aluminum, cast zinc, wood and delrin.

How about this? More room in Z axis and DIY to you configuration. A T slot cutter is extra but the you can make several tables, so it's more
cost efficient., if you use more than one. Tom's design may also be easier to indicate square on your vise.
Tom Lipton OxTool

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_ParallelIMG_4269.JPG

Tilt_Table_DSC_1498.JPG

I really enjoyed reading this thread ,like your table very much ,I'm just curious why you didn't notch the round bar unless the diameter of the bar was too small for your vise in order to have a 3 point contact and still have the plate slightly above the surface of the vise.
Anyhow, this is a great project ,I also need to make a few toe clamps.
Thanks for reviving the this thread and posting pics of your tilting table.

Thanks Ken, but that tilt table was built by Tom Lipton. I was merely showing the design I prefer. Bolting the entire round bar on the bottom/edge, allows the table to be re-ground or fly cut when it gets dinged up from use. I see this table as semi-sacrificial. You can cut and drill into it and not worry. Notch the round stock puts the table flush and thus, cannot be re-cut without hitting the bar. I would cut, face and turn the round bar and bolt to the bottom of the flat plate. Re-usable and an accurate pivot point. long set screws up front, to level on the vise top, and or you can use jack screws or whatever. 6" x 6", with 10-32 tapped holes. Very cool.

Notch the round stock puts the table flush and thus, cannot be re-cut without hitting the bar. I would cut, face and turn the round bar and bolt to the bottom of the flat plate.
Makes perfect sense, of course a thicker plate could be used but for a mini mill, Z axis height is always an issue.

Back