Tilting vs swivel angle plates?

Saxguy

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a reasonable angle plate for the mill, which if needed to I can accurize or smooth out the action (like Stephan did on one of his great vids).
What would you guys say are the advantages or disadvantages of the various types. I like the look of the ones which swivel over a hump (yes, terrible description I know). But then there are the ones that pivot in the centre (often cheap Indian manufactured), but then some which fold almost like a book, from one side. I wasnt thinking of a sine settup, which I may get later for the surface grinder, but more something that is larger and pretty solid, thats able to absorb large cutting forces (mill). And, that could be set up accurately using angle gauges or protractor.

I think you'll find there is no 'consensus' on what's best. The need dictates the solution. I've not purchased any, I clamp angled pieces in my vice to work on them.

I bought one for my mill since the head doesn't nod. It is very heavy but it is solid. It also is tall and eats up a lot of vertical height.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-192230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-192230_Gallery.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 89
I have this type and find it "serviceable" - meaning it arrived with the top surface coplanar to the bottom across the pivot axis and the top surface that tilts was flat to within 0.001". It is certainly NOT Herman Schmidt quality but for my needs it's worked fine. You can buy it here.
IMG_1347.jpeg

The T-slots were about 1mm undersized to their stated spec, so I re-cut the slots to actually fit the size T-nut it's supposed to accept.

screenshot_5392.jpg screenshot_5393.jpg

I've got both. If I were going to buy one. I'd only spend money on one which has sine function....even for mill use.
More importantly, if you have more time than dollars, you can have fun, do good work and be safe making all these.
You don't need to spend any cash on these. On the other hand if your shop is trying to turn a profit making parts is likely more profitable than making tooling and accessories.

Daryl
MN

I bought one for my mill since the head doesn't nod. It is very heavy but it is solid. It also is tall and eats up a lot of vertical height.
Joe
Joe's version looks more rigid once set up than the pivot-type I have.

I did scrape the top and bottom of mine also. Not that it was unusable when I bought it but I was trying to learn how to scrape and it was an easy victim.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-194054_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-194054_Gallery.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 83
Joe
thats the type I have and it has come in very handy. They come up used a lot.

Joe
Actually Joe, my mill head does "nod", so I can get away without I guess. But then tramming up and farting around... also I have a horizontal mill, which could use a adjustable too. Yeah I really like the look of your angle plate.

I have this type and find it "serviceable" - meaning it arrived with the top surface coplanar to the bottom across the pivot axis and the top surface that tilts was flat to within 0.001". It is certainly NOT Herman Schmidt quality but for my needs it's worked fine. You can buy it here.
View attachment 394116

The T-slots were about 1mm undersized to their stated spec, so I re-cut the slots to actually fit the size T-nut it's supposed to accept.

View attachment 394117 View attachment 394118
David, we have them here in NZ too, but around $500. Not many used ones (or any good tools) here, and when they do come up, you need to sell a kidney to buy one! I have thought about making one, as I have a tone of 1" to 1&1/4" plate steel. My concern is that cast iron is better for a plate, ie harder and doesnt ding as bad, also doesnt warp. Then there is the time involved too. Yeah I must admit, I do like the ones like Joe has. Looks more stable in use.

Back