Tilting vs swivel angle plates?

The adjustable plates with the "hump" look to be far better for sturdiness, but the only downside I see is that they only go to 45 degrees. Well, that and a fair bit heavier.

The adjustable plates with the "hump" look to be far better for sturdiness, but the only downside I see is that they only go to 45 degrees. Well, that and a fair bit heavier.
mine has 50deg marked but will only go that far on the side opposite of the crank. I also love that there is a worm gear to adjust with. It helps make fine adjustments way easy.

@Saxguy - what do you expect to use it for?

I recently was looking for one for awkward fixturing of a cylinder head for light machining & drilling. I needed to be able to tilt in 2 axis/planes with near vertical (75-ish degrees?), so for that sort of job an adjustable angle plate similar to what @davidpbest posted was needed. The slots can give you that 2nd axis but there are also swivel adjustable angle plates...but reaaaaally expensive. I ideally wanted this though (looked a bit more beefy). Old and hard to find.
AdjustableAnglePlate.jpg

The hump style looks much more stout and generally larger options available. If <=45 degrees and/or expecting heavier machining: I'd think this type would be better suited. Just my 2c.

@Saxguy - what do you expect to use it for?

I recently was looking for one for awkward fixturing of a cylinder head for light machining & drilling. I needed to be able to tilt in 2 axis/planes with near vertical (75-ish degrees?), so for that sort of job an adjustable angle plate similar to what @davidpbest posted was needed. The slots can give you that 2nd axis but there are also swivel adjustable angle plates...but reaaaaally expensive. I ideally wanted this though (looked a bit more beefy). Old and hard to find.
View attachment 394591

The hump style looks much more stout and generally larger options available. If <=45 degrees and/or expecting heavier machining: I'd think this type would be better suited. Just my 2c.
While I agree this is a cool unique fixture, you could achieve the same thing by bolting the angle fixture to a 90deg or a 45deg. Just all depends on what you’re trying achieve.

Back