Timken Spindle Bearings?

Ok thanks. That will hurt, but a whole lot better than $1000 apiece! Since my bearings obviously are worn as they are making noise, would there be an improvement in just replacing them with just regular ” wheel bearings” ?

Bones

Ok thanks. That will hurt, but a whole lot better than $1000 apiece! Since my bearings obviously are worn as they are making noise, would there be an improvement in just replacing them with just regular ” wheel bearings” ?

Bones

Well, they would probably be quieter. You'd have to measure your current runout to know how much better the new bearings would be..

So, Abec1 / p0 (wheel bearing grade) in the appx size my lathe takes allows up to .0014” of radial runout.

Abec3 / P6 allows up to .0004"

Abec5 / P5 allows up to .0002"

Abec 7 / P4 allows up to .00015".

It's entirely up to you which level of precision is acceptable.

So, for most home machining the P-6, would probably be the ticket? A little more, but quite a bit better? I wonder what the price difference is on bearing of that approximate size are between the P-0 and P-6?

Bones

So, for most home machining the P-6, would probably be the ticket? A little more, but quite a bit better? I wonder what the price difference is on bearing of that approximate size are between the P-0 and P-6?

Bones

I believe your Clausing would use inch bearings. 362a cups front and back, a 365s rear cone and 369a front cone.

Inch bearings would use the abma rating system, so class 6 would be the equivalent of abec3 / p6. Abma class 5 = P5/ abec5

Don't order anything using those part#s I posted. Verify with your manual. When I found those, they were shown as being for the 6300 series. 6307 could be different?

Last edited:

Bones

So, Motion carries those bearings. According to their website, an Abma class 2 365s cone is 67$

An Abma class 2 369a cone is 68$

The precision 362a cups are 352$ each.

And the non-precision 362a cups are 28$ each.
Since your concern is radial runout, not so much dimensional precision, perhaps pair the class 2 cones with the standard cups.

Radial runout is predominantly affected by the inner ring and rollers, right? , and not the outer ring. The precision classification of the outer rings mostly affect dimensional precion. Any runout on the inner face of the outer rings would just effect spindle alignment to a very small degree, and have no effect on the radial runout of the rotating spindle.

The class 2 cones and standard class cups should get you low radial runout.

Perhaps someone with lmore knowledge on this subject can chime in.

From the chart in the previous post, class2 is equivalent to p2, or am I reading that wrong?

Last edited:
Well, they would probably be quieter. You'd have to measure your current runout to know how much better the new bearings would be..

So, Abec1 / p0 (wheel bearing grade) in the appx size my lathe takes allows up to .0014” of radial runout.

Abec3 / P6 allows up to .0004"

Abec5 / P5 allows up to .0002"

Abec 7 / P4 allows up to .00015".

It's entirely up to you which level of precision is acceptable.
And the cost goes up exponentially...

And the cost goes up exponentially...

That is absolutely true. Everyone's situation is unique. One man's fortune is another's pocket change. I don't presume to dictate how another spends his money, given my ignorance of their finances.

That is absolutely true. Everyone's situation is unique. One man's fortune is another's pocket change. I don't presume to dictate how another spends his money, given my ignorance of their finances.
My statement is just based on the nasty realization I had when I discovered spindle bearings for my lathe were $300 each rather than $40, and that the next level of precision was $1500@.

Just curious Boneyard...Why do you think your bearings in you Clausing are bad. ???
FWIW.... I was worried about my 5903 Clausing. So I found the manual and checked the setup accordingly. Ran lathe fast for an hour... then checked to see how many revolutions the spindle would spin.
it checked out okay. Still being anal... I pulled the cover off the headstock and ran a small magnet all over the bottom “oil pan” of the housing . I didn’t get any small pieces of metal. I mean nothing. There’s no way in hell bearings could be bad and not have all kinds of small bits of metal.
So I’m good now. I don’t need any new bearings.

Last edited:
So I’m good now. I don’t need any new bearings.

Tim, just wondering if the degree of run out your spindle has would have anything to do with your assessment. Not disagreeing with you but in my limited experience, you can have a bearing that is junk but still holding together and will run out like crazy. For a machine spindle, this sort of matters, right?

Back