To buy or not to buy (Atlas 101.28910)

TexasPyro

Registered
Registered
I'm new to the forum, been reading as much as possible. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum, I'd like some help if yall don't mind. I had a nice thread going the other day that was unfortunately lost when the site went down. Thanks to those who contributed, it was a warm welcome to the board.

Thanks to This Old Tony and Abom79 I've found a new addiction. I'm new to this and have been looking for a 12'x28-40" lathe for a few weeks now. I've read hundred of forum posts, watched countless hours of YouTube and have decided now is the time to buy a lathe. Seems like everyone in my area values their lathe as much as their first born.

I found what looks to be a nice Atlas 101.28910 but seems to be priced high. I have spoken to the seller, he (like all the others I've spoken with) has very little to say aside from its in great shape, ways are perfect, price is firm.... That seems to be the story I get from everyone, their lathes are all pristine examples of what they're selling and wont budge on price and are very reluctant to actually give much info out over the phone.

My only real concern (aside from value) is if this lathe will suite my needs? I have no intention of turning anything large, this machine seems to be the right fit, but have heard complaints about the flat ways, etc.. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to add his asking price, $2250

I appreciate any help yall may have and thank you in advance.

00x0x_UWBi2fY9FK_1200x900.jpg00i0i_hxz8ODDN36x_600x450.jpg00G0G_dVqyEVUpwMa_1200x900.jpg00I0I_gyHF62AejLM_1200x900.jpg00b0b_lDXJJtyx4fV_1200x900.jpg00g0g_3QYcIeA1xpb_1200x900.jpg00g0g_goa8Oiie2mh_1200x900.jpg00N0N_kBEUBO3E4x0_1200x900.jpg00303_j7Zn65vPGpD_1200x900.jpg00w0w_lm4kfQzjXlY_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
What's his asking price ? I have a similar undermount 3996 up here , they go $1200-$1400 similarly tooled . Cab has a 3996 also and seems to like it .

That's high as heck . I have pics of mine down below on the for sale site , although it's not officially for sale yet . I'll be asking $1200 and most likely it'll go for $1000 on CL . I think he's shooting for the stars at $2250 .

That's what I thought as well, seems to be everyones attituded I talk to around here. They're all super proud of their machines and are asking for their bottom dollar in their add. He said he wont come off the price $1. I've been looking for weeks, twice a day on all of the sale threads and sites and haven't found many deals around here.

Being proud and realistic are 2 different things . :grin:

I am just south of you in Granbury and I had the same problem trying to buy used equipment in 2013 when I started. I wound up buying a new lathe from PM for not much more than the clapped out over priced stuff for sale here. You might eventually find something reasonable dont forget to look on facebook marketpalce also. Good luck

I am just south of you in Granbury and I had the same problem trying to buy used equipment in 2013 when I started. I wound up buying a new lathe from PM for not much more than the clapped out over priced stuff for sale here. You might eventually find something reasonable dont forget to look on facebook marketpalce also. Good luck

Its been pretty wild to say the least, I figured I'd find one right away. I've been searching Facebook as well, its difficult because I have to do it from a computer, I dont use any of their apps. I've been on the PM site nearly every day, the PM-1130 is looking more and more appealing as the days wear on. Ideally I'd like to stay around $2500 for a machine and some tooling. With a PM, I'll be knocking on $3500-$4k before I really even get started.

When there's a question to buy or not to buy, the answer is always "buy".

$2250 is high for the industrial rust belt.

But it's not real high for the Plains States where these things hardly exist. $1500 without gearbox is fairly common when they appear at all.

Around here that price puts you in the ballpark of a bigger, more capable lathe, like an old Clausing. If you can deal with the size and weight, that would be preferable to an Atlas. But as mentioned, price is regional. This area (Southeastern PA) is a former manufacturing region, so old industrial machines are plentiful.

If you have not found it already, Lyle Peterson has an excellent Youtube series on how to buy a used Atlas. On Youtube he goes by MrPete222.

Back