To buy or not to buy (Atlas 101.28910)

Have you tried using search tempest? https://www.searchtempest.com/ It allows you to easily search large areas on CL. When I was looking I expanded my search to 400 miles from my house. I looked for over a year before I found my lathe only a couple of miles from my house. Also look for machine auctions. And estate sales where the heirs are just trying to get rid of grandpa's junk. I found that people were asking top dollar for lathes typically used by hobby machinists whereas big old iron sold for scrap value or less.

The amount of tooling that comes with the lathe is a big factor in its value. Acquiring all of those seemingly little bits and pieces needed to actually make something can easily exceed the cost of the lathe.

Have fun with your search. And welcome to the madness.

There is a similar Atlas for sale on the local CL asking $1450, the ad has been up for more than a month. Condition, tooling and location all playing a part in pricing. I've usually see 10-12" Atlas lathes closer to $1000 around here (California).

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it. I wish the guy would budge, I think we both could agree on a fair deal. Ill keep my eye out for something decent.

Searchtempest is new to me, I had been looking for an effective way to search Craigslist. I will give that a go.

I found Mrpete shortly after locating this lathe, he seem to know his stuff!

MMCMDL, I wish you were closer, we'd definitely have a conversation about that machine.

There are actually about eight groups of Atlas built metal-working lathes that were made. The first three are 6" swing, the fourth is 9", the fifth 10" and the last thre 12". Some were only badged Atlas or Craftsman and some were badged both. The average price in a given part of the country would generally increase from the first to the last except that the 10" and the first 12" are in about the same general price range. So the first decision to make would be size. and the second the group. Within each group except for the 6" groups, there are 4 or later 2 different bed lengths. And several different models. In any case, you can't just ask what is a fair price for for an Atlas 12" because condition, tooling and accessories aside, a 12" x 24" change gear bench model is inherently worth less than a 12" x 36" QCGB and Slip Clutch equipped Cabinet model. I would in most parts of the country other than the North East say the former should bring, assuming it isn't a rust bucket, $1000 to $1500 and the latter $1500 to $2000. Then you would have to expect to add $50 to $250 for each significant accessory over and above the basic lathe.

The flat bed versus V-bed argument usually boils down to which one someone has unless you are the seller and trying to sell a 12" or smaller V-bed lathe.

you're going to have to travel and move fast

not QCGB but reasonable price

a much more capable lathe for not much more money

that was just from a quick look. Sellers round here are VERY proud of their wares - I used to joke that used price here is new + 10%, but it's really not that much of a joke. But if you're patient and quick, you can score good deals. I got my Grizzly 6x26 knee mill and HF 4x6 bandsaw for $1000 from Austin for example.

MMCMDL, I wish you were closer, we'd definitely have a conversation about that machine.

If lathes are that hard to find near you, it might be worth looking into shipping costs to get from mmcmdl to you. Even picking up a lathe yourself has costs for gas and time. If shipping was $500 that might be a decent option for you and much cheaper than the one in the first post. I've heard Fastenal is a relatively inexpensive way to ship machines.

Re: the Colchester: Personally I would stay away from anything used that has 'taken apart and painted' in the details. You will not know what you are getting, it might be good, it might be a mess. And looking closer at the pictures it is a mess, lots of missing pieces/handles and not very clear photos of the surfaces that matter. It has the chuck key in chuck (aka not a machinist) and is sitting on wooden skids. I strongly suspect it is not actually a bargain once it arrives.

mattthemuppet2 I've seen those and have actually been trying to get a hold of the guy with the Colchester, he wont respond via email. The way his add reads, that doesn't surprise me. Sounds like he expected someone to just show up and buy it site unseen. The South Bend is slightly older than I prefer, to my VERY amateur eyes it looks like it needs lots of massaging. I saw the Atinon earlier and sent a message to the seller, I was able to find very little information on it. Does anyone know much about them? I asked the seller to send me more pictures of it if he can.

As for traveling or shipping, I'm open to doing what I have to. The problem with shipping that has slowed me down a bit seems to be the recurring theme around here "Never buy a machine without seeing it in person". Every seller I've talked to talks as if their machine is brand new and by all accounts, perfect. We all know the truth, I just want to be shot straight. If MMCMDL is interested in shipping that thing, lets talk.

I found some info on that Atinon, looks like its a Yangzhou TY-C0632 or the same or very similar to a Grizzly G4016. I've emailed him, waiting on a reply. I've thought about offering him $2k for the lathe, mill, and band saw.

Back