Tons of projects coming up,...

TorontoBuilder

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Kicked off project season today with the equivalent of driving from Toronto Ontario to Knoxville Tennessee, well past there actually. But now have in my possession a 7.5 HP rotary phase converter, and a 15 KVA 240v to 600v transformer.

Very soon my brother and I will be connecting our 8x24 mikromat hydraulic surface grinder. We also have capacity to run other 3 phase 600v equipment, so no longer have to pass on killer deals if one comes along.

Yesterday my fedex delivery from Vevor arrived, so I have a power feed for the Bridgeport in hand, and I'm waiting on the delivery of new lead screws and bushings from H & W Machine repair in Fort Wayne, and waiting on two DROs and two sets of scales to arrive from Ditron. Usually I dont post a lot when I do these projects but I will for these upgrades.

I just saw some good 600v machinery go for chump change last week from a local auction house. I saw how expensive a correct step-up transformer is while considering a 440v dedicated machine, and obviously it's worth driving a thousand miles for the right deal. But once you have it, I bet you will be the eternal sole bidder and snatching up some fantastic buys.

the equivalent of driving from Toronto Ontario to Knoxville Tennessee, well past there actually. But now have in my possession a 7.5 HP rotary phase converter, and a 15 KVA 240v to 600v transformer.
The equivalent? Where did you actually go? Was this within Canada or did you bring the parts back over the border? If so, was that a hurdle?

Just curious,

Craig

I can't imagine that small 600V machinery is very common, 440/480, yes, very common.

I can't imagine that small 600V machinery is very common, 440/480, yes, very common.
Canada unlike the US does not use 440v as a standard, we use 600v. As a result, we have some screaming deals from time to time because US buyers dont want to deal with 600v to 440/480 step down issues.

I just saw some good 600v machinery go for chump change last week from a local auction house. I saw how expensive a correct step-up transformer is while considering a 440v dedicated machine, and obviously it's worth driving a thousand miles for the right deal. But once you have it, I bet you will be the eternal sole bidder and snatching up some fantastic buys.
In hindsight, I could literally weep at all the equipment I let go to scrap over the high voltage issue. Rare equipment too... my brother kept saying "it's too expensive to buy phase converters and transformers"

Finally last spring I'd had enough BS and bought a great 550v surface grinder to force him to make the decision. It took 6 lazy months to find the right deal on this equipment. I was under the weather so did not look too hard until now because a while ago I'd have not been up to the trip

lead screws arriving Wednesday afternoon according to UPS.

Taxes (HST) of 13% apply of course. Then UPS brokerage fee, which was not the $65 that their pdf states but over 90 bucks. No wonder UPS doesn't want to answer questions on what their fees are.

Ditron sent me a notice that the DROs shipped, but when I click the link to track the shipment it takes me to aliexpress site with zero information. I'm hoping these parts come within 10 days. We shall see.

Has anyone else ordered from Ditron who can provide feedback on shipping times?

Anyway, I'll perhaps the lead screws will get tackled next weekend.

Ditron shipped my stuff in less than two weeks from red China, but that was 2018. The world's gone upside down since then when it comes to the supply side, but I thought Ditron's handling through Alibaba (not aliexpress) was outstanding. I always go to Alibaba and chat with the alleged representatives about options and things. It gets me a person and a line of contact. Anyway, under pre-pandemic conditions, Ditron's shipping time was completely reasonable.

Back