Tons of projects coming up,...

and another punch former... cosmetically it is rough... but it appears to be very smooth and precise. The pinion for adjusting the v block could likely use replacing but it works fine as is.

There is one tiny bit of pitting from rust on the surface I was indicating that was causing the indicator to jump a smidge at that one spot. How can people treat tooling this way???

So, I have been keeping a secret or two. I will have more projects coming up and one in particular I'll even create a lot of video content for and blog about extensively, since it will be a colchester chipmaster lathe refurbishment.

I'm picking it up Monday. Very nervous about having to rely on the seller to load it onto a trailer when he says he is not a rigger and plans to use a fork lift. I'll rig the lathe to the forks and hope he has sufficient lift height to get it onto the trailer. I think I may need to take my pallet truck... but not sure it will fit into my car...

This is one of my dream lathes...
i forgot to post these

20220907_082454_resized_1 (3).jpg

20220907_082503_resized_1 (1).jpg

20220907_082505_resized_1 (1).jpg

20220907_082508_resized_1 (1).jpg

20220907_082510_resized_1 (1).jpg

20220907_082512_resized_1 (2).jpg

20221020_091925 (1).jpg

20221020_091931 (1).jpg

The current owner has been running this very seldomly and on 575v 3 phase power. I'm going to use a 3 HP 240V 3 phase motor I already have and a cheap chinese VFD just to get it to run so I can assess the variator.

IF the variator is good I will likely just keep it in place and then run as is. If the variator is toasted I'll pull it and see about installing a countershaft where the variator goes and a TECO VFD. The motor I have is a decent inverter model and has a good turn down ratio for CT output.

Then I may decide to rebuild the variator as a learning experience.

Today we took a trip out of town to look at a 13x40 lathe, got back home and shifted the entire shop around in order to get the gantry crane centered over the lathe, rigged the hoist back up on the gantry (we had it out to lift a cold climate heat pump condensing unit up the the second floor so we could mount it to the exterior wall) and lifted the lathe to slip a pallet underneath.

It will be going out the door within the next few days to someone and at this point I no longer care. I'm now fully emotionally invested in my chipmaster instead.

Today we took a trip out of town to look at a 13x40 lathe, got back home and shifted the entire shop around in order to get the gantry crane centered over the lathe, rigged the hoist back up on the gantry (we had it out to lift a cold climate heat pump condensing unit up the the second floor so we could mount it to the exterior wall) and lifted the lathe to slip a pallet underneath.

It will be going out the door within the next few days to someone and at this point I no longer care. I'm now fully emotionally invested in my chipmaster instead.

Well that was fast. We had 5 people wanting to look at the lathe.

Today we made the appointment with the first one and he bought it. Last night I had picked the lathe up and slid a pallet under it in preparation for the potential move. Today we used the pump truck to wheel it out of the garage, and down the drive. Then disassembled the gantry crane in order to get out the garage door it is too tall to go thru assembled.

Reassembled the crane, went to lift the lathe on the electric hoist and bam, it stopped well short of the required height. Turns out the wire rope ran off the spool and jammed into space between spool and motor. No one noticed. Once that was sorted things proceeded smoothly, we picked the lathe off the pallet, lowered onto the trailer and the new owner strapped it down and hit the road.

Returned the items we had to remove from the garage to get the lathe out back inside, disassembled the crane and dragged the parts back inside. Done. Only slightly frozen... only took 2 hours to warm up again.

left the crane disassembled because new lathe arrives next weekend

Back