Tool for cutting 1/8" steel wire.

Could you mount it on an angle in a band saw and cut through them? Even if you cut a kerf in the mandrel it might not hurt the winding operation.

Jump rings ?

Typically a ring used to join two separate pieces together, like a stone to a chain in order to make a neck pendant. Or a better example is joining a charm to a bracelet. Usually split, so it can be opened and closed again once the linking has been accomplished. Not sure of the exact use in the OP context, but jump ring is very common term in jewellry making.

-frank

Typically a ring used to join two separate pieces together, like a stone to a chain in order to make a neck pendant. Or a better example is joining a charm to a bracelet. Usually split, so it can be opened and closed again once the linking has been accomplished. Not sure of the exact use in the OP context, but jump ring is very common term in jewellry making.

-frank

I have made these easily by using broken garage door opener springs and a very thin cutoff disc in my angle grinder--when you just cut horizontally down the spring you get many single rings that are tempered ----didn't know they were called jump rings but I have found many uses for them, and different sized expansion springs make easy single rings---jump rings I now know is the name for them--thanks--Dave

Years ago where I worked ,we used to manufacture carts for the handicaps, all the parts were made in-house except the plastic seats ,one of the parts was yokes that had rings on them. each ring was 1.750" in dia. (made with .250" mild steel rods) , I used to make hundreds of these rings enough for 5 year stock.
The rings were made on a lathe with the same type mandril as yours (shop made), when finished, I would have a few 12" long coils that looked like (tightly wound) torsion springs ,I then would cut a slit on one side only,usually on a vertical bandsaw or very thin cut off discs.

I would not use a dremel for this job,as mentioned it'll take forever and you'll probably go through many of those small Dremel cut off wheels.

A thin Walter zip-cut or two will do the job.

.1302120_lg.jpg

Even if you cut a kerf in the mandrel it might not hurt the winding operation.

I was debating on cutting a trench, ridge inside the mandrel. But not exactly needed.

A thin Walter zip-cut or two will do the job.

One way or another, I think it's time I FINALLY get my King grinder out of the box and see if it even works. I bought the thing last year, and have left it sitting in the basement all this time.

Looks like you got some spring back , do the ends get closed ? If this is jewelry dose it go in a nose, ear, lip , nip ,or ?

I do not want to have closed/welded ends. If I did, I could order them pre-made and welded super cheap.

My girlfriend is working on a mockup of some giant chainmail, so this project is for her. I have not seen how she does it (yet).

As for the spring-back, yes... I had turned the mandrel down so the outer diameter should have been exactly 1.5" compensating for both sides of the wire... but seems I will have to turn it down further to adjust for that 'spring-back'. Well... this is what the experimentation is for :p

A bit smaller than the bolt cutters that Ulma Doctor posted, but pretty good compound action wire cutters ... Irwin 1902413. They claim a "hard wire" capacity of 3mm, so ⅛" non-hard wire should be well within their capacity. I bought mine at Lowes about a year or two ago, and really like them. Couldn't find them on their website just now, but they may still have some in the store. Another source is Amazon (about $31):
https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Leverage-Diagonal-Powerslot-1902413/dp/B00N3VSPF0

Back