Tool Gloat, kind of!

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
The other day I was over at Charley’s shop and was looking at all the tooling he got when he purchased the 13” Southbend lathe. I noticed a rusty, homemade looking tool holder for stand-up threading/grooving inserts. I thought it would come in handy for a large internal treading project I have planned for warm weather if and when it gets here. Having a weakness for tools and not having one like that I made him an offer and he accepted.

Today Charley said he was surprised that I had not posted a gloat because he had looked up the value online and he had sold it dirt cheap. I told him that he had taken advantage of my tool illness and sold me a tool that would not fit my tool holder and now I have to make it fit before I can use it.:rofl: He offered me my money back, I refused. I like the tool but it just adds another project to the list.

The proof it happened picture.
Lathe treading tools.jpg
The tool at the left is the one I bought from Charley and the one on the right is for lay-down threading inserts and given to me by a tooling dealer when I bought some other stuff from him. As you may notice the one gotten from Charley cleaned up real nice and was a Carboloy brand, not home-made. Neither of them fit my tool holder, o-well more to do! :thinking:

The orphanage just grew a little.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Lathe treading tools.jpg

I had to pull the gun out of my mouth so I could respond to this post YOU SUCK Now I'll put it back

Benny, you rascal! I think Hoover may be your middle name! :))

As you know, anyone who posts a tool gloat is susceptible to a (endearing) You Suck! :LOL:

I had to postpone a project today that was half in the works because I needed an internal threader/groover just like the one you have. I even happened to have some inserts for them in my "bottle-of-wayward" inserts -too bad they won't fit the groover I have...

Ray

Benny, you rascal! I think Hoover may be your middle name!
Thanks Steve, between you and Charley I learned something about machining terminology today.

………. I had to postpone a project today that was half in the works because I needed an internal threader/groover just like the one you have………..Ray
My project is a ways off. It is a 14 ½” Southbend that will need some chuck adapter plates with 2 ¼” internal threads.

I gave him several brand new inserts for it too
Charley can be a nice guy! Today you guys learned something about Charley.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Back