Tool holder holding a "T" cut off blade

Question for those of you who have modified your cutoff tool holders for P-type blades: Do they perform better after the modification?

I use P-blades in an unmodified holder. Worst thing that I get is an angled cut, presumably from deflection. I set blades to the depth to center, never more, for each and every parting job. I'd love to get a square cut out of a squarely positioned tool. Any other improvements would be welcome.

Yes they perform better, especially on a mini lathe. Well worth the effort to modify it.

Roy

Question for those of you who have modified your cutoff tool holders for P-type blades: Do they perform better after the modification?

You're basically asking if a P-type blade that is able to sit vertically and rigidly in a tool holder will work better and the answer is yes. There are two ways to get the blade vertical - shim it so the wider cutting edge clears the wall of the holder or cut a slot to do the same thing. I've done both and both ways work but shimming is a lot faster and easier and works just as well. Find some shim material that is even in thickness and stick enough of it behind the body of the blade to allow the top edge of the blade to clear, then tighten the blade down.

Back