Tool post for 6" lathe

The first thing you should do is to buy two or more 001 or 002 (or whatever All Industrial calls them) Turning or Turning & Boring cutter holders. With only the one that comes with all of the sets, you are hardly any better off than you would be with the conventional lantern type tool post and maybe less better off than you would be with a 4-way turret tool post.

I have often wondered how the places that sell these sets could have missed such an opportunity to sell two more holders by offering them at a slight discount when purchased as part of a set.

The first thing you should do is to buy two or more 001 or 002 (or whatever All Industrial calls them) Turning or Turning & Boring cutter holders. With only the one that comes with all of the sets, you are hardly any better off than you would be with the conventional lantern type tool post and maybe less better off than you would be with a 4-way turret tool post.

I have often wondered how the places that sell these sets could have missed such an opportunity to sell two more holders by offering them at a slight discount when purchased as part of a set.

I actually chose this set because it only had the two holders. Everything else I looked at either was just the tool post, or the "full set" along with the useless knurling tool. My goal is to get this machine working for the lowest cost, it didn't come with a lantern tool post so I needed something for holding bits. Yes, it will eventually need more tool holders, boring bar and holder, cutoff holder, etc. Time will tell if those items will be purchased by me or the next owner.

Since buying the lathe things have gotten much worse for my cash flow, all the conferences I normally work have been cancelled and good local job prospects have dried up. I may end up selling this one and some other tools I have so I can pay bills if things keep going the way they are.

Cheers,

John

OK, then under the old pre-Covid-19 circumstances, if you were primarily getting the machine up and running for re-sale, you probably should have bought one of the 4-Way Turrets if you could find one small enough. However, under current circumstances, I agree that I wouldn't buy anything else for it.

Not sure if I will sell it or not, just not going overboard on tooling right out of the gate. I'll pick up more holders if needed, just don't need them right now and may want to spend available dollars on other stuff.

John

Back