Tool post for 6" lathe

I have an AXA on my Seneca Falls lathe so I ordered an OXA from All Industrial. Should do the trick.

John

This is the one that I'm thinking for my Atlas 618 / 6" lathe. It is made of aluminum but should be strong enough for most needs. They are made for min lathes. After all a 6" lathe wasn't really made for "hogging" off big chunks of metal. They were primarily made for auto generator and AC armature turning. I figure for $35 shipped, from eBay, I just can't go wrong.

s-l1600 (31).jpg

This is the one that I'm thinking for my Atlas 618 / 6" lathe. It is made of aluminum but should be strong enough for most needs. They are made for min lathes. After all a 6" lathe wasn't really made for "hogging" off big chunks of metal. They were primarily made for auto generator and AC armature turning. I figure for $35 shipped, from eBay, I just can't go wrong.

View attachment 318603

I would avoid any toolpost made of aluminum. I think you find that it is too soft to withstand the use. Likewise I’m not a fan of piston-style posts, the wedge style is more repeatable and positive locking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would avoid any toolpost made of aluminum. I think you find that it is too soft to withstand the use. Likewise I’m not a fan of piston-style posts, the wedge style is more repeatable and positive locking.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's profile is smaller and just remember, "You pay you get less!"

It's profile is smaller and just remember, "You pay you get less!"
Yes, that is definitely true. I just wouldn't go that inexpensive on a part that plays a significant role in the quality of the work.
This is the toolpost I put on my mini lathe. I was very impressed by the quality.

I had an aluminum tool post on my 618 and if I were to do it again I would buy one in steel. The 618 needs all the
help it can get rigidity wise. (A solid plinth berween the cross slide and the toolpost wouln't hurt either).

This is the one I went with, ordered on the 25th and arrived in the mail yesterday.

They have it for $10 less on eBay, I looked all over AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, etc. Knew I didn't want aluminum for the reasons others have stated.

It looks good and they advertise it working with all the other tool holder brands. Nice to get something shipped from a US based company that offers high end stuff too, I suspect if I have any problems I could just give them a call and deal with it. FYI, I didn't see any of the big brands offering OXA so it's either China or build your own it seems.

I figure this is a one time purchase that will add functionality to the machine so why try to save $50 on something that will be used almost every time I turn the machine on.

Cheers,

John

The last time I bought AXA toolholders I bought from All Industrial and I was impressed at how nicely they were made.
WAY better than my Phase II stuff, and cheaper.

The problem with buying a QCTP made of aluminum isn't so much strength as it is longevity. Don't waste your money on an aluminum one.

Nice get. You won't regret that. If you decide you want more tool holders to go with it, don't worry about the knurling tool - these little lathes really need a scissors type knurler, not that one. It's about impossible to exert enough pressure for good knurling with that type of knurler. You will probably want/need a parting tool holder, and the boring bar holder will likely come in handy. And, at some point, you'll probably want a holder dedicated to a dial or test indicator. At ~$15 bucks a pop, i sometimes add one to an Amazon order to slowly build up the herd. Any of the OXA holders will fit the QCTP you bought. My guess is they all come out of 2 or 3 different factories, all to the same spec's, regardless of the brand (or lack thereof).

Happy turning.

This is the one I went with, ordered on the 25th and arrived in the mail yesterday.

They have it for $10 less on eBay, I looked all over AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, etc. Knew I didn't want aluminum for the reasons others have stated.

It looks good and they advertise it working with all the other tool holder brands. Nice to get something shipped from a US based company that offers high end stuff too, I suspect if I have any problems I could just give them a call and deal with it. FYI, I didn't see any of the big brands offering OXA so it's either China or build your own it seems.

I figure this is a one time purchase that will add functionality to the machine so why try to save $50 on something that will be used almost every time I turn the machine on.

Cheers,

John

Back