Tool Post Grinder Cupped Stone???

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to find a source for a stone like the photo I've attached. The photo is a screenshot from a Mr. Crispin video wherein he is grinding a backplate for a chuck. He is using a Dumore Series 44 TPG which has an arbor with 1/4" capacity with the included spindle. I've asked him where he got the wheel and he does not remember.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where a wheel of this design might be available that is no bigger than about 3" with a 1/4" arbor hole? I'm having no luck finding one. I’ve tried places like McMaster-Carr, MSC, Shars, Norton and others. Perhaps I’m searching incorrectly?

Thanks!IMG_0268.jpeg

I think I have a few from years ago Jake . They are recessed wheels for internal grinding quills . I have a Precise grinding head somewhere around so the wheels are most likely here also . I will look today .

Get a wheel with a larger hole and make a bushing. You will have to dress the wheel anyway so a small bit of runout is not a big deal.
Joe
I may well have to do that in order to get a wheel over about 1”. I’m waiting on a TPG and once I have it I can assess whether a bushing will fit the TPG’s arbor. Perhaps I will need to make a custom arbor for this application.

I think I have a few from years ago Jake . They are recessed wheels for internal grinding quills . I have a Precise grinding head somewhere around so the wheels are most likely here also . I will look today .
Thanks for having a look!!

That’s a good find, although a bit small in diameter for doing something with dimensions like a backplate. But I’ll have a look at their other stock and see what I can find. Thanks for pointing me to that web site.

Maybe this will work?
That’s getting a lot closer in diameter! Just need to see if I can mount a stone like this via a bushing once I can assess the arbor of my incoming TPG. Thank you for the link, as this is another supplier my searches did not provide.

Back