Tool Post Grinder Cupped Stone???

They sell wheels with the 1/4" arbor already mounted also . I can't remember where , but they exist .

I'm trying to find a source for a stone like the photo I've attached. The photo is a screenshot from a Mr. Crispin video wherein he is grinding a backplate for a chuck. He is using a Dumore Series 44 TPG which has an arbor with 1/4" capacity with the included spindle. I've asked him where he got the wheel and he does not remember.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where a wheel of this design might be available that is no bigger than about 3" with a 1/4" arbor hole? I'm having no luck finding one. I’ve tried places like McMaster-Carr, MSC, Shars, Norton and others. Perhaps I’m searching incorrectly?

Thanks!View attachment 465341
I see them on ebay all the time.

I see them on ebay all the time.
I spent about 45 minutes last night searching eBay and found lot’s of this style, but not in the size I am looking for with a 1/4 arbor. I’ll go at it again later as I imagine it’s just a matter of timing/inventory.

If memory serves me right, 1/4 inch arbor wheels stop at about an inch in O D,
3/8 arbor is strongee and significantly more stable at higher rpm.
My TPG has an arbor to run 3/8 wheels with a 1/4 inch shank!
It is in the collet but looks likes this 1/4 inch arbor.
I look at ID grinding wheels and dress it appropriately.16993138432896412543377110926104.jpg

If memory serves me right, 1/4 inch arbor wheels stop at about an inch in O D,
3/8 arbor is strongee and significantly more stable at higher rpm.
My TPG has an arbor to run 3/8 wheels with a 1/4 inch shank!
It is in the collet but looks likes this 1/4 inch arbor.
I look at ID grinding wheels and dress it appropriately.View attachment 465411
Until I get my TPG in hand I won't know if it has an 3/8" arbor option or not. Certainly hope so, but if not I should be able to make one.

Not mine , but I have the exact grinder . I've used up to 2" wheels with it but I control the rpms with a variac . I've seen wheels blow up and it ain't pretty . :grin:

I haven’t received my TPG yet, but I think there is indeed a 3/8” arbor on the Series 44. I believe the way it’s setup is the spindle arbor on the tool side is 3/8” and the internal grinding extension screws onto that with a 1/4” arbor on its end.

So for the application that I am after (as in the photo on the original post) I actually am after a 3/8” arbor hole grinding wheel, not 1/4”.

Back