Tool post suggestions for 10" Logan ward

Lumps

Registered
Registered
I think i need an AXA for my 10". there seems to be an incredible variance in price ranges. I want something quality that will be a pleasure to use but not break the bank if at all possible. I am currently a machinist student and am a little naïve to what's what with tool holders at the moment. I would be grateful for any suggestions, education or resources.

Attachments

• PXL_20210305_230705715.jpg
    PXL_20210305_230705715.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33
i would concur with an AXA post for your lathe
i would suggest having a look at the Phase II or Bostar stuff.
it's import, but decent quality
a set can be had for around $150

Thanks for the feedback.
Did you have to buy or make an adaptor for that?

you'll need to machine the bottom nut to fit your compound rest
they come drilled and tapped for the toolpost stud
the nut will need to be cut down to fit

I have a Phase II on my Logan which has been fine, but more recently I've been buying Chinese toolholders
from All Industrial on eBay. Good quality, (better than my Phase II stuff), and the prices are great.

AXA is the correct size for a 10" Logan, but be aware that 1/2" tools usually sit a little high relative to spindle centerline
on those lathes. Just be sure to buy tools smaller than 1/2".

I have a Phase II on my Logan which has been fine, but more recently I've been buying Chinese toolholders
from All Industrial on eBay. Good quality, (better than my Phase II stuff), and the prices are great.

AXA is the correct size for a 10" Logan, but be aware that 1/2" tools usually sit a little high relative to spindle centerline
on those lathes. Just be sure to buy tools smaller than 1/2".
That is interesting! On the Dixon type toolpost I bought for my South Bend 9", which I thought to AXA size, there was sufficient adjustment range (downwards) that it could fit up to 16mm tools, and still make it to the centre axis line. SB9 is not a big lathe, surely smaller than a 10" swing Logan. Mine happened to come with a bunch of tools, from 1/4" right up to 16mm.

As stated above, you will have to machine the T nut to fit your compound. That can be done in the lathe if you don’t have a mill. Alternatively, I or one of the other members here could probably be talked into milling it for you ;-).

Also as stated above, you will want to use 3/8” lathe tools - you can’t adjust the tool holder low enough to get a 1/2” tool on centerline.

I should add that I have also been getting tool holders from All Industrial and they have been great. They are also about the cheapest I’ve found. Based on Nogoingback’s comment here and others on other threads, I wonder if Phase II’s quality has declined since I bought mine.

That is interesting! On the Dixon type toolpost I bought for my South Bend 9", which I thought to AXA size, there was sufficient adjustment range (downwards) that it could fit up to 16mm tools, and still make it to the centre axis line. SB9 is not a big lathe, surely smaller than a 10" swing Logan. Mine happened to come with a bunch of tools, from 1/4" right up to 16mm.
The Logan compound just sits a bit higher for some reason. I solved the problem by putting a solid plinth on the lathe
which is slightly (about .100") shorter. It's on the lathe most of the time, and only use the compound when I need it. It's more rigid as
well, and nicer to work around.

Back