Tool post suggestions for 10" Logan ward

My Logan 820 is a 10"; it also found me with only the lantern holder. MIkey recommended the PM AXA QCTP and 3//8" tool holder set, and it's never failed me. On sale now for $179, too. I've filled in with 3/8" holders from a variety of sales, usually allindustrial, since. And yes, since I didn't have a mill, or a working lathe until the t-nut was sized correctly, someone here made it for me.
Tim
@tmenyc PM meaning Precision Matthews?

Look into having gears printed on a 3D printer.
I have a Transponding (127/100) gear printed on a 3D printer for my SB9, works fine and is quiet.
Will do. I've got a printer but haven't been able to get it working properly. I'll hold off on ordering gears for now, aside from maybe the one or two I need to do the threading tasks I'm focused on.

AXA tool holders are made for 3/8" tooling. Which is why the 1/2" tooling sits high. Besides which, 1/2" carbide tool holders usually cost more than you would expect for the actual difference. And on a Logan 10", you will probably wear out or break the machine before you realize any benefit from the larger and more expensive BXA tool post that actually goes with the more expensive 1/2" tooling.

point of information, there are oversize AXA holders that will accept 5/8 tooling- i have 6 of the 5/8" holders

Yes, I forgot to mention them. I have a couple of them bought mainly so that I wouldn't have to modify a ball turner that I ended up with.

Look into having gears printed on a 3D printer.
I have a Transponding (127/100) gear printed on a 3D printer for my SB9, works fine and is quiet.
Jim, don't know how I managed to reply to you rather than the topic. Ops, sorry.

There is an eBay vendor printdoctor who makes very high quality nylon gears. Very happy with the ones I've purchased. Even with a QCGB some of the change gear set are needed for metric threads.

The Logan compound just sits a bit higher for some reason. I solved the problem by putting a solid plinth on the lathe
which is slightly (about .100") shorter. It's on the lathe most of the time, and only use the compound when I need it. It's more rigid as
well, and nicer to work around.
I solved the problem by making the AXA post off center in the T-Nut. This allowed the attachments to drop down lower.

Attachments

• T nut for lathe.dwg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2
In my experience, I have found the Chinese QCTP tool posts & tool holders to be just as good as USA made, with the only drawback being the slightly lower quality steel in the set screws (i.e. grub screws). QCTP is where it’s at!

At one point, I was scoring unbranded AXA #1 and #2 tool holders on Amazon for about $17 delivered! They fit perfectly on my Precision Matthews AXA tool post & have been bombproof so far.

Expect some flex with the econo-shanks & boring bars, though, but the OP wasn’t asking about shanks & boring bars. I like a quality tool shank & a used solid carbide boring bar.

Last edited:
Back