Toolbit material question

i was lucky to find a real assortment of tool bits in a close out garage sale of an old machine shop. All vintage bits with all kinds of grinds for pennies on the dollar. It has turned into a real boon as some of the names are no more and absolutely beat my import bits hands down. What has been a real eye opener is this was personal stash and they are not grinds I was familiar with but was able to try them out. I have moved several to my assortment of quick change holders and have learned to copy and maintain those grinds. Most are 5/16 and 1/4 with a few 3/8 and that was probably why they were the last of the stuff but absolutely what I use on my 9x20 and Atlas7b. If they were still in a commercial shop they would be gone by now but in my shop I won’t need to ever buy bits again.
This, all of it.

I have a couple pounds of old school tool bits. Mo-Max, Rex AAA, Three star, etc and other than the Mo-Max I have no idea what they are, but I take that if their marked there probably not just Hss but likely have some cobalt content.

I have scads of it if you're interested.
I think most of the stuff I got was in the toss it can and they just picked out what might sell. My brother had 5gal buckets full of stuff that got tossed in the shops he worked in. He tried to get me to take them when he moved but I already had what I needed. This particular garage CL sale went on for probably 4-5mo and I didn’t get around to it until the very last dregs. That’s a double edged sword in that the good stuff is long gone but the stuff left over they are blowing out. Besides what is on my tool holders I have just a little mint box of small special bits and a bigger metal box of bigger bits. All of them have come in so handy.

I have scads of it if you're interested.

Do you have some 1/2" x 1/2" lathe bit stock? Decent quality stuff. Not from china. If so, message me with what you have and how much you want for some pieces. I don't want tons, mind you, but I'll take a handful of pieces in a flat rate box, if you are so inclined....

Back