Tools For Lathe And Mill From Shars And Enco

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking about this type of holder, I'd recommend you never use it for knurling. This style relies on you basically ramming the knurls into the stock, and puts a lot of side load on the spindle. On thin work, you run a high chance of just bending the work piece.

Boring bars for the mill are completely different than boring bars designed for a lathe. trust me you want bars designed for a lathe, even if its just the hss tool bit type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the tool I'm referring to and now I see your point. I'll put the Enco model back on my list. Included a picture in the post... and I assume the extended arm is there to clamp into the tool holder. I appreciate the help.

Enco Knurling Tool.jpg Enco Knurling Tool.jpg

After examining all my tool holders, I understand them better. I noticed the 250-201 (Turning and Facing Holder) and 250-202 (Boring, Turning and Facing Holder) are identical except the 250-202 has a V-Groove along the bottom surface opposite the clamping screws. I read where it's needed to hold a round boring bar, but would there also be a need to hold square inserts at an angle (i.e. to give a different cut)?

Thanks Dave. Now I know what I'm ordering is what I need. A shame about the knurl on that one tool holder.

You will still want the scissor knurl. That bump knurl is not good.
I've used the 'bump' knurl with no problems. Of course, that was on a larger lathe than my Atlas, so it's good to know about a scissor knurl. I'd not seen that approach before. It's clear there's a difference. Good piece of info.

Of course, you can't knurl something very large in diameter with a scissor knurl, it doesn't look like. Or if it gets very large, the scissor knurl effectively becomes a bump knurl. But that would be the minority of jobs, certainly.

Wrat

Enco has those scissor knurling tools in 2 sizes... up to 2-1/8"... and 2-1/8" to 4". I like the way all these companies put the dividing line at a point to entice people to purchase both. I'm getting the smaller one which should cover me for the most part. But if/when I need something larger, I'm gambling I can machine something that will space the knurls further apart. :wink:

I'm watching videos about these quick change tool holders and learning a few things. But I'm going to have to make a decision soon on which bits/sets to buy... before my brain explodes.

Wait! I just realized this is Sunday so the coupon codes are good until Monday 11:00 PM EST ;)

Last edited:
Enco just posted on there home page, 25% off and free shipping for cyber Monday, starts now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back