• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

TOS lathe in western Canada

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Those are very well built machines. Good price. I have The 14" version, and it's a beast. Mike

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
a great buy! you should jump on it if in person it looks good.

lewey

Swarf
Registered
Maybe I’m being picky but I really don’t won’t that handle configuration. Can’t stand it that way

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I've been waiting many years to be the first in line to buy a certain 15" lathe that I adore, so I get it about configuration. If you compare a newGrizzily or whatever lathe at 5K and th TOS lathe, well no contest... Of course you need to get what will make you happy.

BTW, thefirst time I used the 15 incher, I hated it, but over the past 30 years I have grown to love it...

lewey

Swarf
Registered
i've used quite a few lathes over the years, and there are the ones you'll hop on to turn a diameter or bore and the ones you prefer for things like threading up to a shoulder. i'm sure someone would get used to anything, but its kind of like buying right handed golf clubs when you're a lefty. i've never personally used a TOS but have read a few times on here that they're good. if someone is reasonably close and at the usual exchange rate it might be an even better deal for someone south of the border. on another note, newer lathes aren't really even a consideration for me, but for some reason neither are those handle set ups. maybe i haven't been on the market long enough. if i haven't picked up a lathe in a year from now it might be a completely different story.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
sure! you should get what you like! My experience is that I got used to that darn 15" and can't get her out of my mind...

lewey

Swarf
Registered
i'm too lazy to search dabbler. what lathe do you fancy?

Ill give you my take on the handle on the right , I've run set up and used I don't know how many lathes. But on one large lathe I used we had to use the handle to finish to the set depth , well when red and purple chips land on and in you hand you know why the handles on the right. By choice if I could I'd get the right side model. Shouldn't make a difference to a machinist. We use what we have.

Chipper5783

Active User
I'd love to play with a decent size heavy pattern machine. I've a respectable assemble of iron. I very rarely find the existing kit lacking (I can usually figure out a way to get my projects done).

So what, I'd still love to run a bigger heavier machine - just making chips!

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
lewey, I am in love with a 1982 LeBlond 15 X 60 Regal Servo Shift lathe. It looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday. It has a Enco 6" 4-way toolpost that indexes 12 positions, and properly tooled is very rigid and fast - a dream to use. It is wayyyy more rigid than an Aloris C sized QCTP (sorry guys), but every tool must be set up to hit center when installed. It has Pratt Bernerd chucks; it has seen about 500 hours total, so ti is just about broken in...

[6]
[5] [7]