Touch DRO features compared to Chinese DRO

So here is another question ...how many of the features do folks use other then a good readout of location ...when using a DRO?

My 2 cents.... I believe the advantage of the touch DRO was the cost savings. A few years ago the Chinese DROs were not so cheap - which made the Touch DRO way more attractive. Now the Chinese DROs are cheap.
I had looked for quite awhile. As the prices came down - I went with the Chinese DRO. I was hesitant to buy from AliExpress - but good timing allowed me to utilize an EBay 20% coupon - they had on that day - and I ordered the same unit I was looking at out of California -for actually a little less.
One of the scales did not quite work right - but they quickly sent a replacement and told me to keep the bad one. The manual was lousy - but I found one (I posted on this website) that explained the functions well. All in all I am pleased with the purchase. It is a joy having a DRO - especially since my handwheels were .125 per rev. Sorry - I have no hands on experience with the touch DRO to share.

Thanks Rata ..that is what I am looking at. It really seems like Touch DRO is more expensive than the Chinese offerings at this time. Just Igaging scales alone $200 or more for 3 axis. Then you throw out the Igaging displays, buy BlueDRO for $125 ...and then an Android tablet. So you are at least at the price of the Chinese packages. And you have capacitance scales instead of glass scales. So hence the questions regarding feature advantages. It does look like TouchDRO offers a tach feature that I am not finding on the Chinese units. Where do I find that manual for the Chinese DRO on here?

From what I have seen, most of the glass scales have similar or identical functions. DROPros has Adobe Flash videos that explain using the various functions. They may not be exactly correct for your particular DRO but should provide some insight as to how to use them.

I have theolder version of TouchDRO so I can't comment on the features. I originally used my MotoX smart phone for the readout and had no problems with the Bluetooth connection. I have since purchased an RCA tablet and the connection will drop out from time to time. My understanding is that the tablet will drop the connection if it sees a period of non-use. I also have my LG smart phone set up to display and it doesn't drop so I'm thinking that the tablet is at fault. It is irritating enough that I am thinking about using the USB connection option.
The Bluetooth dropping out is probably due to the way the Android OS was implemented on the RCA tablet.
On all of my Android devices from phones to tablets I always install (flash) a custom ROM (OS) when possible.
This gives you greater control over tweaking the device to suit your needs.
Usually there is an 'Always ON' option for WiFi & BT, but some vendors cripple it to give the device better battery life on paper.

Thanks Rata ..that is what I am looking at. It really seems like Touch DRO is more expensive than the Chinese offerings at this time. Just Igaging scales alone $200 or more for 3 axis. Then you throw out the Igaging displays, buy BlueDRO for $125 ...and then an Android tablet. So you are at least at the price of the Chinese packages. And you have capacitance scales instead of glass scales. So hence the questions regarding feature advantages. It does look like TouchDRO offers a tach feature that I am not finding on the Chinese units. Where do I find that manual for the Chinese DRO on here?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

So to keep this alive for a little while longer ....what about differences between Chinese units? Pretty much just the hardware? And how much difference?

So here is another question ...how many of the features do folks use other then a good readout of location ...when using a DRO?
On my lathe, the only feature besides position that I use in the tool offsets (my toolpost is fixed on a solid riser block instead of the compound slide). I have an Acu-Rite DRO on the mill and use the centerline, linear/radial hole pattern, calculator, etc functions.

So to keep this alive for a little while longer ....what about differences between Chinese units? Pretty much just the hardware? And how much difference?
Try and find one with a decent manual and replacement parts (scales). I’ve been talking to the guys over at DROpros and would go with one of their units if possible.

Back