TouchDRO Adapter Lineup (and Price) Changes

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi Folks,
I've been working on upgrades to the TouchDRO glass/magnetic scale adapter(s), so just want to give some heads-up. By mid November I expect to have the new adapters in stock, and will be cycling out the old ones. So here is the "short version" of what's coming:
First, the "bad news":
1. I will no longer sell the current version of the kit. Note: I have about 20 left, once they are gone, I will not order anymore (there will be a different kit, so read-on)
2. Once I sell the last of the iGaging adapters, I will not be ordering those.

The "good news":
The current Quadrature board will be replaced by 3 different adapters:
1. DIY-ish kit that will have 4 differential inputs (current kit doesn't support differential inputs) and tachometer input, and will have BlueTooth and USB connectivity. It will come as a partially assembled unit (SMT parts will be populated; headers and the ESP32 module will need to be soldered by the end user. The kit will come with an enclosure and will cost $130 (in spirit, it replaces the current board).
2. Fully assembled "Essential" board will come, as the name suggests, fully assembled with a few different pinout options to cover the standard scale pinouts (about 99% of the Chinese scales use one of the 3 standard pinouts). Compared to the current board version, it add support for reference track (software-configurable), USB connectivity (either USB or BlueTooth can be used at any given time), USB-C connector that can deliver more current, and pre-installed tachometer input. It will sell for around $200
3. Fully assembled "Plus" board will sell for $280 and add some features to the "Essentials" board:
  • Bundled with TouchDRO Plus application (this is the way to get the Plus application, at least for the foreseeable future, but with an asterisk; more on that later)
  • Power loss data retention - when the adapter looses power, it uses an on-board super capacitor to power the CPU for about a second to write current scale positions to non-volatile memory. When the power is restored, it re-loads the positions. As long as you don't move the axis, you can leave the board powered down for days and pick up where you left
  • Four configurable inputs that can be used to connect two touch probes (really, a touch probe and a hight setter), two tachometers (for a multi-spindle machine), or [possibly] two additional quadrature inputs. This last part is still iffy - I got a proof-of-concept to work, but haven't performance tested it.
  • Simultaneous USB and BlueTooth connectivity with pass-through (in future, there will be a companion Windows app that can be used for logging, etc.
The two pre-assembled boards use larger microcontroller flash, so they will support (once implemented) non-linear correction maps, etc. All of the new boards use newer firmware that has over-the-air update capability, so you will be able to upgrade the firmware via the app when new features are added.

Below are the photos of the new boards:

20230923_185721.jpg

20230923_185756.jpg

Kit:
20230923_185737.jpg

Now, as far as the TouchDRO Plus app version goes:
Initially it will be bundled with the Plus version of the board. The board, in fact, is the "activation dongle". Additionally, everyone in the closed "Alpha Testing" program will have access to it automatically. I will also give access to it to everyone who helped with testing, reported bugs.

My plan/hope is to have the Plus version of the app in Beta in about two months (well, in reality it's already in production, but you need to know the special hand shake and be allow-listed for access).

Regards
Yuriy

What is the connector that you are using for the tach input on the new boards? I have one of the older boards on my mill and plan to purchase another one in the future for my lathe and would like to have the same connectors on both.

Thanks

What is the connector that you are using for the tach input on the new boards? I have one of the older boards on my mill and plan to purchase another one in the future for my lathe and would like to have the same connectors on both.

Thanks
Rob,
It's Mini DIN 4 (same as S-Video connector).
Regards
Yuriy

Thanks. Can you give me the pinout so I can wire both the same as your new one.

Thinking of ordering one of the old kits for my lathe, then the new one for my mill.

Any downside?

John

Thanks. Can you give me the pinout so I can wire both the same as your new one.
Pin 1 - 0V/Ground
Pin 2 - 5V
Pin 3 - Secondary input
Pin 4 - Primary input

This is the default pinout for the "Plus" version, but can be changed in software.
Kit and "Essentials" version don't use Pin 3 and can't be re-mapped.

Regards
Yuriy

Thinking of ordering one of the old kits for my lathe, then the new one for my mill.

Any downside?

John

Old vs. new kit differences are:
  • Old kit has probe input, new kit doesn't
  • New kit supports differential inputs, the old one doesn't
  • New kit runs at the same refresh rate as the pre-assembled boards (25 Hz vs. 16 Hz)
  • New kit can be used with USB or BlueTooth, old one is only BlueTooth
  • New kit has OTA update capability, old one doesn't
  • New kit comes with an enclosure, old one doesn't
Basically the new kit is more future-proof and a bit faster, old kit is much cheaper and a bit slower.
Regard
Yuriy

OK I found these connectors on amazon. The female one is a 6 pin but I think that the 4 pin mail will fit in it. This will allow me to upgrade to the newer model later without having to change any connectors around. I will use my existing model on my lathe at that time.

Female connector to be mounted in the DRO box.

Male connector for the cable going to the Hall effect pickup.

OK I found these connectors on amazon. The female one is a 6 pin but I think that the 4 pin mail will fit in it. This will allow me to upgrade to the newer model later without having to change any connectors around. I will use my existing model on my lathe at that time.

Female connector to be mounted in the DRO box.

Male connector for the cable going to the Hall effect pickup.
The key is different between 4 pin and 6 pin connectors, so you will need to do some violence to the male connections.

Back